Add to basket or enquireEnquire now
Gain an understanding of the impact that food and diet has on health and gain a nutrition-related qualification as an addition to your current skillset.
- Learn about how diet affects a person’s health, focusing on the five major food groups
- Gain a practical insight into effective weight management
- Understand more about different types of eating disorders
- Discover how nutritional needs vary according to an individual’s age
Unit 1: The principles of healthy eating
- Linking diet and health
- Components of a healthy diet
- The role of nutrients
- Principles of healthy food preparation
Unit 2: The nutritional needs of individuals
- Nutritional needs of children and young people
- Nutritional needs of older people
- Special dietary requirements
- Barriers to healthy eating
Unit 3: Planning a healthy diet
- Understanding food labelling
- Understanding food additives
- Applying principles of healthy eating
Unit 4: Principles of weight management
- Risks associated with ineffective weight management
- Body image and weight management
- Planning a short-term weight management programme
Unit 5: Understanding eating disorders
- Different eating disorders
- Causes of eating disorders
- How eating disorders affect the individual and others
- Managing eating disorders
Unit 6: Principles of food safety for the home environment
- Handling food safely
- Personal hygiene when handling food
- Storing food safely
- Effect of food storage on nutritional value
- Keeping food work areas clean
- Checking food is cooked to the correct temperature
- Disposing of food waste safely
Who is this course for?
For people looking to work as a nutritionist or wanting to enhance their performance in their current role by providing a better advice on leading a healthy lifestyle.
To be eligible for a free place you must be:
- 19 or over at the start of the current academic year 31st August
- Resident of England only and does not cover Northern Ireland or Wales
- UK or EU resident of three years or longer or outside of the EU be able to provide Visa Evidence
- Your employment status or prior level of qualification may affect your eligibility to study with some colleges.
- You are able to complete the course regardless if you are working or receiving benefits. If you receive benefits, you will be asked to provide evidence in the form a current award letter.
This course will enable you to start your career as a nutritionist, dietician or personal trainer. You will explore how good nutrition enhances wellbeing, and can help manage or prevent disease.