Gain an understanding of the impact that food and diet has on health and gain a nutrition-related qualification as an addition to your current skillset.
- Learn about how diet affects a person’s health, focusing on the five major food groups
- Gain a practical insight into effective weight management
- Understand more about different types of eating disorders
- Discover how nutritional needs vary according to an individual’s age
Unit 1: The principles of healthy eating
- Linking diet and health
- Components of a healthy diet
- The role of nutrients
- Principles of healthy food preparation
Unit 2: The nutritional needs of individuals
- Nutritional needs of children and young people
- Nutritional needs of older people
- Special dietary requirements
- Barriers to healthy eating
Unit 3: Planning a healthy diet
- Understanding food labelling
- Understanding food additives
- Applying principles of healthy eating
Unit 4: Principles of weight management
- Risks associated with ineffective weight management
- Body image and weight management
- Planning a short-term weight management programme
Unit 5: Understanding eating disorders
- Different eating disorders
- Causes of eating disorders
- How eating disorders affect the individual and others
- Managing eating disorders
Unit 6: Principles of food safety for the home environment
- Handling food safely
- Personal hygiene when handling food
- Storing food safely
- Effect of food storage on nutritional value
- Keeping food work areas clean
- Checking food is cooked to the correct temperature
- Disposing of food waste safely
Who is this course for?
People looking for a qualification to help them find a new job or enhance their performance in their current role, learn new skills to fulfil a personal learning goal, or experience the benefits of online learning.
To be eligible for a free place you must be:
- 19 or over at the start of the current academic year 31st August
- resident of England only and not Northern Ireland
- UK or EU resident of three years or longer or outside of the EU be able to provide Visa Evidence
- Your employment status or prior level of qualification may affect your eligibility to study with some colleges.
- You are able to complete the course regardless if you are working or receiving benefits. If you receive benefits, you will be asked to provide evidence in the form a current award letter.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.