Add to basket or enquire
ognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) has emerged as one of the most effective treatments for a wide range of psychological problems. By helping a client understand how their thoughts, feelings and behaviours interact to maintain faulty patterns of thinking, CBT assists them in developing a more constructive approach to problem solving and life in general.
This course provides a comprehensive overview of the theory underlying CBT, the counselling skills that underpin good therapeutic practice and how to implement specific CBT techniques in the treatment of depression, anxiety and other common mental health problems.
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major browsers / devices
You Will Learn:
- What is meant by the term “cognitive behavioural therapy” (CBT) and the underlying principles that guide CBT practitioners.
- How counselling works to promote change and the basic counselling skills every therapist needs to develop.
- How to develop listening skills that promote client disclosure and how to communicate empathy.
- How to help clients identify their irrational beliefs and how the ABC model is used to guide CBT.
- How to formulate a case and plan CBT sessions.
- How to select and implement CBT tools such as journaling, behavioural experiments and challenging maladaptive thoughts.
- How to use CBT techniques to help someone overcome depression and resume engagement with day-to-day life.
- How to use CBT techniques to reduce the impact of a client’s anxiety, overcome panic attacks and conquer phobias.
- How thoughts, feelings and behaviours cause and maintain insomnia, and how CBT can help a client resume a normal sleeping pattern.
- An overview of two therapies based on CBT – Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) and Solution-Focused Therapy (SFT) – and the client populations most likely to benefit from them.
Benefits Of Taking This Course
- You will learn how CBT and psychotherapy in general work to alleviate mental distress.
- You will gain insight into a number of common mental health conditions, which is useful for anyone working in, or looking to work in, a caring profession.
- You will discover how faulty cognition and maladaptive behaviours maintain mental distress, which will enable you to help yourself and others adopt more effective coping methods.
- Your knowledge will give you the confidence to decide whether a career as a CBT therapist is right for you.
- You can study from any location with an internet connection.
- Learn the material at any time and at your own pace.
- Lifetime access to the course – no deadlines.
- Obtain a recognised certification when completing the course, which will improve your career prospects.
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down into 10 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?
The pass mark for the test is 70%. If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it.
How long does it take to complete the course?
We estimate that the course will take about 14 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
- Module 1: The Underlying Principles Behind CBT
- Module 2: Basic Counselling Skills
- Module 3: Further Counselling Skills
- Module 4: Case Formulation, Irrational Beliefs & The ABC Model
- Module 5: Planning A CBT Session
- Module 6: Basic CBT Techniques
- Module 7: Further CBT Techniques
- Module 8: Using CBT In The Treatment Of Depression, Anxiety & Phobias
- Module 9: Using CBT In The Treatment Of Excessive Anger & Insomnia
- Module 10: Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) & Solution-Focused Therapy (SFT)
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
I have almost completed my Honours Degree in Psychology, with that and this combined, would I be qualified to be a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist?Answer:
Yes, this would be a good course to help you get into the field.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Certificate of completion
Digital certificate - Included