Our Online GCSE Chemistry Course is the international version or IGCSE. This Course provides basic knowledge and understanding of the unifying patterns and themes of chemistry.
In studying this course you will develop a logical approach to problem solving and you will learn how chemistry affects the world. You will also learn scientific methods which will allow you to form hypotheses and design experiments to test them.
The course aims to develop an understanding of the principles of chemistry and then builds on this knowledge looking at the chemistry of the elements, organic chemistry, physical chemistry and chemistry in industry.
Our Online GCSE Chemistry Course enables students to:
- Learn about the unifying patterns and themes of chemistry
- Acquire knowledge and understanding of chemical facts, concepts and principles
- Appreciate the practical nature of chemistry, developing experimental and investigative skills based on correct and safe laboratory techniques
- Appreciate the importance of accurate experimental work and reporting as scientific methods
- Develop a logical approach to problem solving in a wider context
- Understand the widespread importance of chemistry and how materials are used in the world
- Evaluate, in terms of their chemical knowledge and understanding, the benefits and drawbacks of real-life applications of science, including their everyday, industrial and environmental aspects
- Select, organise and present information clearly and logically, using appropriate scientific terms and conventions
- Prepare for more advanced courses in chemistry and for other courses which require them to have a knowledge of chemistry.
- Exam Guide - download
Principles of Chemistry
- States of matter
- Atomic structure
- Relative formula masses and molar volumes of gases
- Chemical formulae and chemical equations
- Ionic compounds
- Covalent substances
- Metallic crystals
Chemistry of the elements
- The Periodic Table
- Group 1 elements: lithium, sodium and potassium
- Group 7 elements: chlorine, bromine and iodine
- Oxygen and oxides
- Hydrogen and water
- Reactivity series
- Tests for ions and gases
- Acids, alkalis and salts
- Rates of reaction
Chemistry in industry
- Extraction and uses of metals
- Crude oil
- Synthetic polymers
- The industrial manufacture of chemicals
As you progress through the Online GCSE Chemistry Course sections you will encounter lessons, activities, core reading and assessments.
Who is this course for?
Our IGCSE Courses are perfect for homeschooling students, mature students or anyone looking to improve their grades!
There are no entry requirements for IGCSE study.
Questions and answers
No questions or answers have been posted about this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.