Skip to content

Level 3 Access to Higher Education Diploma Teaching Primary (Science)

Online distance learning course with study materials and tutor support provided


£1,349.70 inc VAT
Or £112.48/mo. for 12 months...
Study method
12 months · Self-paced
Level 3 Diploma
Regulated qualification What's this?
  • Certificate of completion - Free
Additional info
  • Tutor is available to students
  • TOTUM card available but not included in price What's this?


An Access to HE Diploma gives you the opportunity to apply for a university degree. They are designed for adult learners who may not already hold traditional qualifications such as A Levels, or who last studied a number of years ago.

You can work at home at your own pace, whilst still having the benefits of your own personal tutor who has time to deal with your own individual problems and concerns. The course is designed to meet all your needs to study at a level that is comparable to A-level. Full Access Courses are designed to take, on average, one academic year to complete although some students complete in a shorter time and others take longer. You will be entitled to tutor support for as long as your studies take.

Our experience and strong relationships with universities means that our Access to HE Diplomas are well suited to meet both their entry requirements and to prepare you for undergraduate study. If you are unsure what your university entry requirements are, or would like some advice choosing the Access to HE Diploma that is right for you, we are here to help.

Every Access to HE Diploma is made up of 60 credits: 15 are ungraded and 45 are graded. The grades available are Pass, Merit and Distinction. University entry requirements usually ask for a certain number of credits at these grades. They may also say what subjects those credits should be awarded for.

Key Points:

  • You can start your Diploma whenever it suits you: just like studying with us, our enrolments are flexible too.
  • For every unit that you study you will be given access to its tailored learning materials: because they are written by subject specialists, you can be assured that they will teach you what you need to know to succeed on your assessments. They are more than a textbook – they guide you through your learning and support you so that you're fully prepared for each assessment. You will complete tasks, answer questions (with model answers that you can check) and will be given all the tools needed to achieve the highest grades possible.
  • You will be formally assessed through tutor-marked coursework throughout your Diploma, including two exams that will take place over Zoom. All of our assessments have been both internally and externally verified, meaning that they have been checked to make sure they are consistent, fair, and robust. Importantly, they give everybody the same opportunities to succeed.


Level 3 Diploma

Awarded by Ascentis
Regulated by Quality Assurance Agency (QAA)

Course media


With the Access to Higher Education Diploma Primary Teaching (Science), you study 45 graded credits in Education Theory and Practice and Biology, and 15 ungraded credits.

As part of an Access to Teaching Diploma you will need to complete a placement in a school.

Our experience and strong relationships with universities means that our Access to HE Diplomas are well suited to meet both their entry requirements and to prepare you for undergraduate study.

Our Access to HE Diplomas are fully accredited through an Authorised Validating Agency (AVA) and regulated by the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA), so are part of the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF).

Who is this course for?

If you want to become a Primary School teacher, this Diploma is ideal. It will allow you to apply to university for your initial Science specialist degree with QTS, paving the way for a successful teaching career.

As part of this Access to Higher Education Diploma you will complete a placement in a Primary School which can be no less than 35 hours. During most of your placement you will be acting as a Teaching Assistant (TA) by supporting the class teacher and the learners. Towards the end of your placement you will teach a lesson yourself. This unit is mandatory and without completing it you will not be able to achieve your Diploma.

You will need an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check to volunteer in a primary school. The school at which you complete your placement will arrange this, but they may ask you to pay for the DBS.


  • This Diploma is studied entirely by distance learning.
  • You must have a UK residential address to study this qualification.
  • Although there are no formal entry requirements for any of our Access to HE Diplomas, to qualify as a teacher you will need English and Maths (along with a Science to teach this subject) GCSEs at grade C or above. If you do not have these qualifications at the required grades already, you can study them with us.

Career path

Graduate career prospects:

  • You can train to become a Qualified Primary School teacher with prospects to become a deputy head or head teacher, or a SENCO.

This Diploma is also an ideal way to maximise your transferable skills, allowing you to apply for:

  • Administrative roles in schools & colleges
  • a Learning Support Assistant role
  • a Teaching Assistant role
  • Technical roles in schools & college

Questions and answers

No questions or answers found containing ''.

Jamie asked:

Good Morning Hope you are well Would this give you an equivalent to GCSE grade C or above for science Also, do you do the same for English & Maths


Hi, Jamie it is nice to meet you. We offer GCSEs in Maths, Double Award science, and English. This level 3 qualification would not give you equivalent qualifications as it is a level 3 course (A level equivalent). If you were to apply to university to study for a degree in teaching the expectation would be that you hold these GCSE qualifications at grade C (4). It might be better therefore to complete the GCSEs and then start the Diploma in Primary Teaching. Kind regards Liam Duxbury

This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Rajan asked:

What are the chances for getting a job after getting this certification? How do I become sure that schools recognise this certificate while hiring?


Hi Rajan, our diplomas equip you with a range of transferable skills that will improve your career prospects. However, you would need to complete a degree in Primary teaching upon completing your Diploma before you would be qualified to teach in a Primary School. Most UK universities accept the Access to HE Diploma as a level 3 qualification that will allow you to complete undergraduate study. Kind regards, Liam Duxbury

This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Sarvinoz asked:

Good evening I am 43 years old Can I get work Viza to UK I am English teacher


Good morning Sarvinoz. You would not be able to apply for a work visa by studying for one of our courses. If you intend to apply to study at a University in the UK, then you would be able to apply for a study visa once you have received a conditional offer from a university. Kind regards, Liam

This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.


Certificate of completion

Digital certificate - Included


Currently there are no reviews for this course. Be the first to leave a review.


What does study method mean?

Study method describes the format in which the course will be delivered. At Reed Courses, courses are delivered in a number of ways, including online courses, where the course content can be accessed online remotely, and classroom courses, where courses are delivered in person at a classroom venue.

What are CPD hours/points?

CPD stands for Continuing Professional Development. If you work in certain professions or for certain companies, your employer may require you to complete a number of CPD hours or points, per year. You can find a range of CPD courses on Reed Courses, many of which can be completed online.

What is a ‘regulated qualification’?

A regulated qualification is delivered by a learning institution which is regulated by a government body. In England, the government body which regulates courses is Ofqual. Ofqual regulated qualifications sit on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF), which can help students understand how different qualifications in different fields compare to each other. The framework also helps students to understand what qualifications they need to progress towards a higher learning goal, such as a university degree or equivalent higher education award.

What is an ‘endorsed’ course?

An endorsed course is a skills based course which has been checked over and approved by an independent awarding body. Endorsed courses are not regulated so do not result in a qualification - however, the student can usually purchase a certificate showing the awarding body’s logo if they wish. Certain awarding bodies - such as Quality Licence Scheme and TQUK - have developed endorsement schemes as a way to help students select the best skills based courses for them.