College of Contract Management
Add to basket or enquire
Managing a team is not as simple as telling people what to do. It takes a particular mindset and skillset to do the job well. A great manager strives to do what is best for their team members, helping them to reach their individual potential and work as a team to meet the business’s goals. Many people possess the personal qualities it takes to be a good manager, such as being nurturing, empathetic and able to trust in others’ abilities. With the right training, such people become strong and effective leaders.
The BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma (HND) in Business Management is aimed at people who want to train in management but may not have the time or inclination to attend a three-year degree course. The HND is roughly equivalent to the first two years of a degree and many universities are happy to accept HND holders into the third year to top up to a full degree. However, the HND in Business is a prestigious qualification in its own right and highly valued by employers. It is accredited by Pearson Education, the largest awarding body in the UK.
The online nature of this course means that is accessible to everyone irrespective of work or personal commitments. It is an economically favourable alternative to attending a university course that will raise your profile and salary in the long run.
The HND in Business Management is made up of two parts.
Part 1: BTEC Level 4 Higher National Certificate (HNC)
Part 2: BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma (HND)
Each module or unit you take is worth credits. Some modules are compulsory and you can earn extra credit by choosing optional modules to supplement your core knowledge. You must earn 120 credits at Level 4 to achieve your HNC and a further 120 at Level 5 to receive your HND.
Each module will be marked as either a Pass, Merit or Distinction, according to the quality of your work. Each credit you earn is given a value according to your grade, the total of which will make up your final grades for HNC and HND.
Level 4 Core Modules (Compulsory)
- Business and Business Environment (15 credits)
- Marketing Essentials (15 credits)
- Human Resource Management (15 credits)
- Management and Operations (15 credits)
- Management and Accounting (15 credits)
- Managing a Successful Business Project (set by Pearson) (15 credits)
Level 4 Optional Modules (Choose up to 4)
- Business Law (15 credits)
- Innovation and Commercialisation (15 credits)
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management (15 credits)
- Financial Accounting (15 credits)
Level 5 Core Modules
- Research Project (set by Pearson) (30 credits)
- Organisational Behaviour (15 credits)
- Operations and Project Management (15 credits)
- Understanding and Leading Change (15 credits)
- Global Business Environment (15 credits)
Level 5 Optional Modules (Choose up to 5)
- Taxation (15 credits)
- Statistics for Management (15 credits)
- Business Strategy (15 credits)
- IT Systems (15 credits)
- Business Systems (15 credits)
- Developing Individuals, Teams and Organisations (15 credits)
- Human Resources – Value and Contribution to Organisational Success (15 credits)
- Consumer Behaviour and Insight (15 credits)
- Customer Value Management (15 credits)
- Sales Management (15 credits)
- International Marketing (15 credits)
- Brand Management (15 credits)
- Planning for Growth (15 credits)
- Tapping into New and International Markets (15 credits)
- Pitching and Negotiation Skills (15 credits)
As with our course content, all our assessments are designed under Pearson Education’s guidelines and requirements. You will do one assessment (open book online exam)for each module you take.
How You’ll Study
To help you organise your studies, you will have access to a virtual study platform called our Moodle. Your Moodle account will be where you access your live online lectures, your timetable and learning resources. You will also be able to add friends from your course, chat in forums and message your lecturer with any questions you may have about the lessons or assignments.
We will send you an invitation to each live online lecture. This will be an email link that you click on to access the lecture at the scheduled time. If you miss the lecture or particularly want to watch it again, you will be able to find recordings of all your previous lessons on Moodle.
How Often You’ll Study
The live online lectures are held on Saturday and Sunday evenings and last for 2 hours each. You will do 1 or 2 lectures a week but we’ll send your timetable well in advance so that you can plan your activities accordingly.
To achieve a high grade for you HND, you will need to set aside a few hours every week for independent study.
How You’ll Be Taught
Despite the more advanced technology they use to teach with, our university lecturers aim to use the same teaching methods that they do in their lecture halls. These include class discussions, interactive presentations, case studies and assignment planning.
How You’ll Be Assessed
We will send you an email when it’s time to get started on your assignment, together with an assignment brief that will tell you what is expected. For Level 4 it will also give some suggested essay titles, whereas for Level 5 you will choose your own with the approval of your lecturer. All your assessments will be written essays and it is these that will be graded as Pass, Fail, Merit or Distinction.
Who is this course for?
HNDs are an accessible route for people who are looking to kick-start their career. They are ideal if you’re looking to:
- Work for a couple of years then enter the second or third year of a university degree.
- Get promoted into managerial roles.
- Change career.
- Get a British qualification from overseas.
Please note that not all universities accept HNDs, please check with the universities that you are interested in.
For us to consider your application for the HND in Business Management you must:
- Be at least 18 years old, and
- Be a fluent English speaker. Overseas students for whom English is not their mother-tongue will need to provide evidence that their English is good enough to keep up with the course. This can be any one of the following:
- IELTS 5.5, with a minimum of 5.5 in both Reading and Writing
- CEFR level B2
- PTE 51
- Or approved equivalent.
The HND in Business Management is a valuable tool in carving a career in management. Whether you are looking to move up your current career ladder or you are just beginning, these are a few of the positions you could reach:
- Project Manager
- Risk Manager
- Production Manager
- Business Adviser
- Business Development Manager
- Management Consultant
Questions and answers
Currently there are no Q&As for this course. Be the first to ask a question.
Currently there are no reviews for this course. Be the first to leave a review.