Academy for Health & Fitness
Add to basket or enquire
Enhance your professional skills to a whole new level with the best-selling and award-winning Dual Diagnosis course! Don’t waste time with poor quality training - study the Dual Diagnosis and get an expertly-designed, great value training experience. Learn from industry professionals and quickly equip yourself with the specific knowledge and skills you need to excel in your chosen career through the Dual Diagnosis online training course.
Our exclusive Dual Diagnosis Level 2 follows an advanced curriculum with topics broken down into a total of 10 scaled-down modules for your ease of self-paced learning. These modules will assist you in grasping the basics and leading you to the steps of getting a comprehensive understanding of all aspects of the Dual Diagnosis Level 2. The course materials designed by experts are easily accessible 24/7 by any of your smartphones, laptops, PCs, tablets etc. Our expert instructors are available on weekdays to listen to any of your queries via email and help you in achieving your goals.
Finally, you will receive a CPD-accredited certificate which will fast-track your career and showcase your expertise on this topic to excel in your professional life. This professional certification, along with your in-depth understanding of the course materials, will put you ahead in this sector as well as the relevant job market.
Key topics to be covered
- The Definition and history of Dual Diagnosis
- Terms Associated with Dual Diagnosis
- Assessment and Diagnosis of Patients
- Drug Abuse and its Effects on Mental Health
- The Difference Between Drug Abuse and Misuse
- The Reasons Behind Substance Misuse
- The Patterns of Substance Use
- An introduction to Commonly Used Illegal Drugs
- An Overview of Mental Health Disorders
- Models of Care and Dual Diagnosis
- Understand the types of drugs, the reasons behind substance misuse and its effects on mental health
- Familiarise with the terms associated with dual diagnosis and drug abuse
- Know the difference between drug abuse and drug misuse
- Identify the different types of mental health disorders and their symptoms
- Fast track your career as a certified CBT Therapist or Drug Addiction Counsellor
- Deepen your understanding of the Mental Health Act and how it defined mental disorder
- Learn about the Models of Care four-tiered treatment framework and how to apply it in counselling
- Understand the process for the assessment and diagnosis of patients
According to a report in 2019, over 35 million people worldwide suffer from substance abuse disorders, yet only 1 in 7 people receive treatment. In the UK, the NHS spends approximately £500 million each year on the treatment of drug abuse. Drug addiction counsellors are in high demand because of this and are essential to the recovery process.
The Dual Diagnosis Level 2 course provides learners with a comprehensive understanding of substance misuse and its effects on mental health. It explores the reasons behind substance misuse, patterns of behaviour in substance addiction, models of care in dual diagnosis, and much more.
You will learn about the history of dual diagnosis and the terms associated with dual diagnosis and mental health, as well as the process for assessing and diagnosing patients. Taking you step-by-step through common drugs and their effects, you will gain a deeper understanding of why people abuse and misuse drugs, and how to support them through their recovery. This course will equip you with both practical and theoretical knowledge that can be applied within a counselling framework.
Skills you will gain
- Person-centred communication
- Theoretical knowledge of neurophysiology
- Analysing & summarising
- Active listening
Module 01: Dual Diagnosis: A Challenge of New Era
- Definitions of Dual Diagnosis
- Interrelated Terms with Dual Diagnosis
- History of Dual Diagnosis
- General Considerations in the Recognition and Assessment of Dual Diagnosis
- How Signi? cant is the Problem of Dual Diagnosis?
Module 02: Drugs and Its Effects
- What is a Drug?
- Difference between Drug Use and Misuse
- Reasons behind Substances Misuse
- Patterns of Substance Use
- Commonly Used Illegal Drugs
- Types of Drug Use
- How common is Substance Misuse?
- Does Using Substances Lead to Mental Health Problems?
- Does Having a Mental Health Problem Lead to Substance Misuse?
- Underlying Factor That Leads to Both Substance Use and Mental Disorders in People with Dual Diagnosis
Module 03: Mental Health: An Introduction
- Mental disorders
- Relationship of Anxiety Disorders with Substance Misuse
- Relationship of Mood Disorders with Substance Misuse
- Relationship of Schizophrenia with Substance Misuse
- The Role of Medication in Mental Illness
Module 04: Brain Works - Neurophysiology
- Brain Structure and Functions
- The Brain’s Reward System
- The Drug Connection
- Drug Action in the Brain
Module 05: Harm Minimisation and Optical Health
- Interventions and Approaches
- Harm Reduction
- Using Harm Reduction Approaches with Mentally Ill Individuals
- Dual Diagnosis and Harm Reduction
- Pharmacotherapy in Dual Diagnosis
- Psychotherapy in Dual Diagnosis
- 12-Step Programs
Module 06: Models of Care and Dual Diagnosis
- Legal Framework: Mental Health Act and Dual Diagnosis
- Needs for the models of care
- Models of care: what works best for drug misusers?
- The Scope of Models of Care
- Four tiers system of Models of Care
- Dual diagnosis: care management and pathways for clients
- Groups with special needs
- Family Interventions
- Contingency Management
Module 07: Psychological Interventions in Dual Diagnosis
- The Nature and Type of Psychological Interventions
- The Evidence for Psychological Interventions in Dual Diagnosis
- Individual Therapies
- Group Therapies
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Relapse Prevention
Module 08: Practice and Policy Issues
- Diagnosis and Primacy of the Problem
- Lack of Knowledge, Confidence and Skills
- Communication Risk and Engagement
- The Way Forward
- Myths around Dual Diagnosis
- The Current Policy Context in Relation to Dual Diagnosis in the UK
Module 09: Ethical Issues and Mental Health Act
- Misuse of Drugs Act, 1971
- Drug Dealing on Premises
- Substance Misuse and Driving
- The Mental Health Act and People with Dual Diagnosis
- Assessment under the Mental Health Act
- Consent to Medical Treatment
- What to do if someone with a dual diagnosis needs an assessment under the Act?
- Informal admission
Module 10: The Assessment Process in Dual Diagnosis
- The Assessment Process
- Some Issues in Practice
- Good Practice Suggestions for Assessment
- Assessing and Managing Risk
- Suggestions for Good Practice in Risk Assessment
- Understanding and Using the Care Programme Approach
- The Role of the Key Worker
- Care Planning
- Person-centred Planning
Module 11: Treatment in Dual Diagnosis
- Types of Treatment Offered by Substance Misuse Services
- Interventions via the criminal justice system
- Interventions via the Mental Health Act
- Types of Treatment Offered by Mental Health Services
- Types of Medication
- Types of Psychosocial Therapy
- Complementary Therapies
- Stages in Treatment of Dual Diagnosis
- Stage one: Engagement
- Factors that Promote Engagement
- Stage Two: Working Towards Change/Persuasion
- Stage Three: Active Treatment
- Stage Four: Relapse Prevention and Management
Once you have completed the modules in the course, your skills and knowledge will be tested with an automated multiple-choice assessment, after which you will receive instant results.
Showcase Your Accomplishment of New Skills: Get a Certification of Completion
Upon passing the assessment, you will receive proper certification that is recognised all over the UK as well as internationally. The PDF certificate is free of cost which you can download instantly upon completing the assessment or you can order it online. You can also receive an original printed copy of the certificate for showcasing your achievement anywhere and everywhere, which will be sent to you by post. The postal fee for this printed copy is only £5.99, with no additional fees or expense.
Who is this course for?
This comprehensive Dual Diagnosis course is for anyone who wishes to gain a deeper understanding of dual diagnosis and substance abuse. It is ideal for those who are looking to fast track a career in drug addiction counselling by gaining the practical and theoretical knowledge required for this profession.
There are no previous knowledge requirements for the Dual Diagnosis program; this is open to anyone! Any learning enthusiast from anywhere in the world can enrol on this Dual Diagnosiscourse without any hesitation.
All students must have a passion for learning and literacy, as well as being over the age of 16.
Browse this 100% online course from any internet device, including your computer, tablet or smartphone. Study at your own pace and earn an industry-recognised qualification with this Dual Diagnosis course.
The Dual Diagnosis Level 2 course is an essential qualification for those looking to start a career in counselling or social care work. Professions in this field include the following:
- CBT Therapist
- Drug Addiction Counsellor
- Dual Diagnosis Support Worker
- Dual Diagnosis Practitioner
Questions and answers
Currently there are no Q&As for this course. Be the first to ask a question.
Currently there are no reviews for this course. Be the first to leave a review.