Hate the thought of being stuck in an office all day? Looking to take your DIY skills beyond your living room and on to the next level? If the answer’s yes, becoming an Electrician could be a perfect career move for you.
The main role of an Electrician is to install, test, and maintain electrical wiring, equipment, appliances, apparatus, and fixtures in a range of different properties and businesses. This could be for lighting, power, security or for many other forms of electrical apparatus.
The role of an Electrician will also usually include the following:
- Assessing plans and planning layout of wiring, equipment and fittings
- Installing initial wires (known as ‘first fix’) and connecting them to sockets, light fittings, power supplies and other fittings (known as ‘second fix’)
- Fitting fuse boxes and circuit breakers
- Testing wiring and other electrical equipment, and fixing any faults found or malfunctioning systems
- Laying cables, and connecting computers and other telecommunication networks to power supplies