- Ref: DESTVE1
- Location: Leicester or Swindon
- Salary: Up to £57,300 (dependent on experience & assessment performance)
- Contract: Full time (40 hours)
- Contract Length: 23 month fixed term contracts & permanent contracts (dependent on eligibility)
About the Role
You will envision and create the visual design for online, mobile and other digital application interfaces. You will use your deep knowledge of traditional and user-centered design principles, as well as interaction design. You will use your experience to express our client’s brand visually within a highly interactive experience.
As well as sharing your expertise within a team of professional designers, you will gain experience working at one of the world leaders within the IT industry. Not only will you develop your skills within UX/UI, you will gain expert advice and support working alongside our renowned IBM Digital Strategy & iX Team.
You will be working in IBM’s Client Innovation Centre (CIC). With its emphasis on innovation, the CIC is a new, innovative and exciting part of IBM. Did we mention that we’re dedicated to innovation? The CIC is a fast-paced and dynamic business, created to deliver high-value technical services to world renowned clients. Buzzing with invention, originality and a pioneering spirit, it feels like an entrepreneurial start-up, but with the support of the world's largest IT and consulting services company.
We offer a unique experience for those with exceptional talent, extraordinary ambitions and forward-thinking ideas. The CIC is place for people with real enthusiasm and a passion for IT, a place for those who want a challenge, ask questions, and explore what’s possible.
We could write here about how we want flexible, hard-working and driven individuals to join our rapidly expanding team, and we do, but we’re also looking for more than that. We want people who will go the extra mile, grab the bull by the horns and shout "I can do this!" We’re looking for people that are hungry to grow, who think outside the box and that thrive in a friendly and energetic working environment.
What do we look for in a person?
- Resilience to change - Because it can and will happen
- Passionate - To make a difference
- Inquisitive - Go on, ask a question!
- Team Player - Teamwork makes the dream work
- Fun - As it’s a vital part of our innovative culture!
This is not a list of generic personal attributes, this is a list of what we are looking for in an employee, a list of qualities that we live and breathe in the CIC. If this sounds like you, then we want you in our team!
Design and Technical Skills
As one of the world’s largest, and most innovative, companies we deliver top-notch services using cutting-edge technology, so your skills count! We’re looking for UX and UI Designers with experience of researching, defining and designing experiences and services for mobile apps and websites, preferably within an agency or design studio.
Successful candidates must demonstrate:
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with creative, product, proposition, content, commercial and technical teams and with senior client stakeholders.
- Skills in UX and user centred design practices and can demonstrate a proven track record in design.
- Ability to use appropriate methods, activities and tools to create useful and delightful experience and services; such as CS/Photoshop, Illustrator, Axure, and Omnigraffle
- Sound knowledge and experience of design thinking.
- The ability to bring ideas to life through sketching and using industry standard tools software/tools and languages - we like to realise ideas at speed and have a culture that supports rapid creativity, testing and learning.
Candidates must also show:
- An impressive portfolio, which we will ask to see as part of our assessment process.
- A track record of designing usable and accessible solutions.
- Experience of user testing your designs.
- Emphasis on detail - attention to detail and the drive to become a master of your trade - your deliverables are held up as examples of how things should be done.
- Previous experience sharing your design capabilities with those around you, showing strong influencing and collaboration skills, to design and shape the direction of projects undertaken.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an aptitude for storytelling and presenting your ideas and opinions in a thoughtful and engaging way.
- Empathy and creativity in equal measures - your ability to understand people’s needs, behaviours and motivations, and knack for solving for their problems, is your super-power.
Your experience and your portfolio are more important to us than your academic qualifications. Ideally we will look for a degree in a subject related to UX/UI design, but if you don’t have a degree we will still seriously consider your application.
Your base location will be Leicester or Swindon, but your work will take you across the UK and you must be prepared to travel to spend time at client premises and to spend nights away from home.
Perks don’t hurt
As well as a competitive salary and a career in a world- leading IT organisation, we also offer a number of additional benefits! As an employee at the IBM CIC UK, you will receive access to our Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme, as well as discounts at leading high street and online retailers. With our support, you will have the opportunity to acquire industry recognised qualifications, gain valuable experience with globally renowned companies and work with industry leading technologies. If you are as passionate about IT as we are, this will hopefully excite you as much as it excites us!
All applicants must hold a UK work permit or visa valid for a two year period prior to applying. Unfortunately, we do not offer visa sponsorship and have no future plans to do so. For certain projects, ideally candidates will be British Nationals with a minimum of 5 years UK residency, preferably 10 years.