To manage and coordinate a fleet of vehicles and schedule, train, support & develop a team of drivers to ensure the most cost effective use of resources, a safe and efficient operation and to provide a high quality, reliable service to our customers.
- Vehicle fleet management - ensuring the availability, safety & reliability of the company’s fleet of vehicles to ensure customer needs can be fulfilled. Includes managing vehicle inspections, maintaining vehicle records and working with the Workshop Manager to set up maintenance schedules and program vehicles in for any planned or reactive repairs.
- Driver management - recruit, induct, train, manage, support and motivate a team of around 40 drivers to ensure we have the right skills and capabilities available to deliver our customer requirements. Includes daily scheduling, allocation and management of work as well as performance managing the team to ensure safety & quality is maintained. Acting as first point of contact for all drivers.
- Work scheduling - ensuring customer jobs are delivered on time and in full, through effective scheduling, planning and routing of work to drivers & vehicles.
- Health, safety & compliance - ensuring company compliance with all transport policies, legislation and procedures. Monitoring driver performance to ensure safe operation of vehicles at all times, including tachograph records.
- Customer service - maintaining regular contact with customers, responding quickly to resolve any issues or queries relating to the operational delivery of services. Build open and trusting relationships to help identify new business opportunities and to improve service levels and delivery.
- Budget management & cost control - manage delivery of transport operations to budget, seeking to identify and implement efficiency improvements to help drive cost savings and support profitability. Including improvements to driver performance, fuel efficiency, purchasing improvements and proactive maintenance schedules to minimise unplanned costs and service interruptions.
- Previous experience of supervising or managing a transport operation
- Ideally within waste management, quarry or aggregate haulage industries
- Full UK Driving Licence with LGV Class 2
- Track record in delivering continuous improvement in the field of customer service
- Excellent Communication skills - able to effectively communicate at all levels
- Knowledge of Health & Safety in relation to working practices
- Fleet Management
- Waste Management
- Trusting Relationships