We have an exciting opportunity for a Technical Underwriter to join our personal lines technical referral team based in Fareham. You will provide technical underwriting expertise and guidance to our third party administrators and intermediaries under general direction, to enable achievement of business plan and the delivery of excellent customer service.
A great opportunity for an individual who really enjoys working in a team with an external focus, and who likes communicating with both internal colleagues and intermediaries.
- Assess and make decisions on technical underwriting referrals from all areas in accordance with agreed service standards and authorities.
- Investigate underwriting concerns, often non disclosure and arising from a claim. Make voidance decisions in accordance with agreed service standards and authorities.
- Provide clear explanations for underwriting decisions, sharing relevant technical information to build and maintain relationships with customers/distributors.
- Resolve operational day-to-day problems referred from other functions of the business, ensuring an efficient and high-quality service is extended to all distributors and customers.
- Monitor underwriting processes in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Review and analyse customer service levels using standard reporting tools and highlight discrepancies to more senior colleagues.
- Compare alternatives for solving problems or improving procedures or products and provide recommendations.
- Identify and comply with the main principles relevant to legal and regulatory controls that govern standard work practices.
- Anticipate, recognise and respond to needs of customers and support the implementation of customer initiatives.
Your skills and experience:
- Experience in a similar underwriting role, or a combination of underwriting and development roles.
- Progression in CII examinations
- Appropriate balance of people and technical skills
- Persuasive communication and negotiation skills
- Customer relationship skills
- Proactive and able to manage a diverse workload
- Able to take a "commercial view"
- Ability to work under pressure, maintaining a strong strategic focus whilst responding to the tactical demands
- Strong team player
- Highly numerate
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
In return we are offering an attractive salary plus a generous benefits package including bonus and defined contribution pension scheme. We are committed to continuous improvement and we offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities.