At McLaren Automotive our vision is not only to become the iconic sports car manufacturer but also to deliver breath-taking, iconic and innovative new technology to the automotive industry.
We recognise that we can only achieve our vision with the dedication and collaboration of our world class employees. It is our mission to become the employer of choice within the global automotive industry.
Purpose of Role:
Reporting to the Purchasing Manager, this is an exciting and unique opportunity to join McLaren Automotives purchasing team. This is a rare opening to join an exclusive automotive environment which is undergoing a transformation and rapid growth in response to its critically acclaimed global products and best-in-class performance.
- Life-cycle responsibility and autonomy for delivering high quality, value for money products/components and services to McLaren, utilising robust and objective nomination and sourcing processes that represent best-in-class practices.
- Accountability for cost and budget management for multi-million pound direct-spend portfolios.
- Ability to provide guidance in complex commercial and contractual relationships with a good understanding of legal contracts.
- Establish relationships and long term development plans with suppliers based upon common goals and objectives.
- Ensure supplier requirements and concerns are fully understood and ensure these are fed back during the appropriate stages to the appropriate stakeholders.
- Assist in the co-ordination and maintain elements of control within the activities of McLaren’s Purchasing team to ensure McLaren’s continued customer commitment of being the bench mark for customer satisfaction for both internal and external customers/stakeholders.
- Working within your own functional area as well as the wider business.
- Develop a culture of continuous improvement throughout the business. With an understanding of industry practices (e.g. Six Sigma, PPS)
- Development of the teams’ capabilities to drive sound judgement in styling, engineering, quality and logistic environments.
- Work cross-functionally with all departments to drive quality principles and commercial acumen into every aspect of our business.
- Develop detailed and intelligent commodity/category strategies that align with the organisation’s commercial and technology roadmaps as well as those of our key development partners.
- Being able to understand complex and abstract concepts (legal, technical and/or commercial) and being able to present the information in an informative and simplified manner; such that key decisions can be made quickly and objectively.
- Supporting and fostering a cross-functional approach to achieve your objectives.
- Engaging with Engineering so that you are seen as a key decision-maker and able to exert influence.
- Setting of clear objectives and monitor performance of your suppliers and other functions within the organisation.
- Act as a mentor to new / developing staff.
- Develop training and development plans for team members.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
The successful candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Ability to lead negotiations and support teams in the development of negotiations strategies for large and complex projects
- Strong influencing and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable commercial success within an Automotive and / or manufacturing environment is desired, but willing to consider all industries with the right competencies gained.
- Excellent organisational skills, deadline adherence and exceptional attention to accuracy and detail.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to create / lead and energise a team to deliver superior results, continuous process improvement.
- Able to act under pressure with calmness, clarity of thought and decisive authority.
- The determination to drive forward the business to 'Best in Class’ performance standards.
- Must be capable of lateral thinking and be able to make structured and objective decisions.
- Able to demonstrate a methodical approach towards problem solving.
- A high level of self-motivation to overcome obstacles
- Results driven and the ability to deliver against aggressive targets to achieve the overall business objectives
- A flexible approach to working hours and practices is necessary
- Experience of launch management / new model integration
- Ability to play a lead role in contract implementation and management
- Good working knowledge of manufacturing and quality processes
- Proven supply chain management and procurement experience, dealing with both small and large value organisations
- Strong communicator / influencer
- Capability to lead and influence within a dynamic organisation
- Results driven
- Enthusiastic and with a high level of self-motivation to overcome obstacles
- Keen attention to accuracy and detail
- Excellent written and presentational skills
If you are passionate about pushing the boundaries of processes and technologies and have an entrepreneurial mind-set, join us at the heart of an exciting journey apply now to be part of cutting edge pioneering projects.