Senior Business Rates Officer.
Your new company
Due to continuous growth Haringey Council have an exciting opening for a Senior Business Rates Officer. This really is the perfect role to gain invaluable experience within a forward thinking council that is rapidly becoming one of the most exciting London boroughs to work in.
Your new role
This role exists to assist in the delivery of Revenues and Benefits for Haringey Council in accordance with legislation, policy and procedures within an internal shared service centre. Staff will be expected to maximise income growth, enable debt reduction, minimise subsidy error and accurately assess benefits.
- You will operate as a Business Rates Senior officer across the core activities of the service with a focus on delivering a high level of customer service and performance.
- To provide advice and be able to deal with complex, contentious or technical enquiries.
- Deal with and manage workloads and service demand in line with legislative and procedural requirements.
- Use IT systems to facilitate and administer records within revenues and benefits
- Utilise knowledge, skills and experience of Business Rates to enable the maximisation of income growth and reduction in debt
- Deliver a professional service with due regard for targets, service improvement and performance quality.
- Maintain a knowledge of relevant legislation, best practice and customer contact procedures
What you'll need to succeed
- IRRV Qualified or previous technical experience gained from having worked in a local revenues customer focused environment
- Have an excellent knowledge of relevant legislation, best practice and customer contact procedures as well as associated experience in respect of Business Rates
- Good understanding of NNDR legislation
- Ability to organise and monitor the workflow of the NNDR Team
- Excellent levels of literacy and numeracy.
- Excellent knowledge and application of IT systems and software packages.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, using problem solving skills and initiative to provide a customer focussed support service.
- Experience of writing detailed witness statements and complex letters, e.g. drafting stage-one complaints;
- Ability to act as an expert witness at either the High Court, a Valuation Tribunal or at the Magistrates' Court
- Ability to work flexibly, balancing competing priorities and meeting deadlines whilst understanding the needs, timescales and deadlines of others.
- Ability to deal diplomatically and confidentially with a wider range of stakeholders both internally and externally
- Ability to identify improvements to processes and systems and to share the recommendations with the wider team
- To assist with the development of any assistants or apprentices on the NNDR team
- To assist the team with any advisory queries pertaining to NNDR
- To assist with complex NNDR enquiries and complaints
What you'll get in return
You will have the opportunity to progress your career within Haringey Council, training, company laptop and mobile phone, generous annual leave, flexible working, flexible retirement, interest free travel loan (season ticket and bicycle loan), defined benefit pension scheme (career average), learning and development courses at work, courses and workshops to offer support and help through change, long Service Award and many more.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.