Assistant Lawyer - Large Loss
The role of Assistant Lawyer offers an excellent opportunity to work within the Complex Injury Claims Team dealing with large loss claims.
The role will suit a Solicitor / Lawyer / Legal Executive who has litigated personal injury experience; maybe you currently handle your own litigated fast track caseload or assist with litigation and now you want to advance your career in the large loss arena. Multi-track experience would be preferred but is not essential as supervision, training and support will all be provided. This is a great opportunity to work with excellent lead lawyers. We are flexible on your location and are happy to discuss options upon application.
As Assistant Lawyer you will assist the lead lawyers on complex, high value multi-track and catastrophic injury claims which may include EL/PL as well as RTA claims. Experience of indemnity, liability and complex medical issues is preferred and excellent attention to detail essential.
Your work will be supervised and feedback given as part of ongoing development and learning. The role also includes the need to engage with sophisticated senior claims handlers in long-standing insurance clients. As Assistant Lawyer you may also be required to assist your Lead Lawyer in activities which enhance and develop Keoghs’ profile.
You will work as part of a team progressing each file from receipt of papers from the insurer client to resolution of the claim. The role will include:
- Working with the Lead Lawyer to manage a caseload of complex injury claims including high value multi-track and catastrophic injury claims involving brain injury, spinal cord injury, amputation and fatal claims.
- Communicating with sophisticated insurer clients, dealing with their queries and updating them as the matter progresses.
- Forensic analysis of voluminous quantum evidence, preparing chronologies, identifying anomalies and other relevant information across various sources and categories of evidence.
- Using your existing knowledge of complex injury symptomology to identify relevant issues within medical records in order to instruct medical experts, drawing key issues to their attention.
- Critical analysis of sources of liability evidence and identifying any gaps.
- Drafting concise technical advice on all aspects of claim handling to include advice on indemnity, liability, quantum and causation issues and claims resolution for strategy discussion with the Lead Lawyer.
- Proactively identifying next steps required on matter, discussing those aspects with the Lead Lawyer and taking action as agreed.
- Interviewing witnesses and drafting statements.
- Liaising with parties involved in claims including the insured, insurer, witnesses etc.
- Drafting pleadings and applications.
- Instructing counsel and attending conferences, JSMs, mediations both remotely and in person.
- Attend court in person or by telephone, attend trials, settlement conferences etc as required.
- Delivery of agreed performance targets and quality standards.
- Delegate assigned tasks for a Legal Assistant and/or Paralegal and be fully engaged in their development in terms of technical ability and achievement of objectives.
- Maintaining case managements systems with up to date management information for clients.
- To ensure compliance with the SRA Code of Conduct 2011.
As well as all the usual high standards in IT, communication, prioritisation & organisation, analytics, attention to detail, ability to remain calm under pressure and working as a team the successful individual will have qualification / experience in the main areas as follows:
- Qualified solicitor, CILEX or proven relevant legal experience is essential
- Previous litigation experience
- Experience of indemnity, liability and quantum essential
- Experience of cases involving complex medical issues preferred
- Critical thinking and quantum analysis experience required
- Good telephone advocacy skills
- Good advocacy skills
- Excellent inter-personal and client care skills
- Understanding of case law and litigation practice and process, and Court Practice Rules
- Confidence to take initiative to innovate and adapt to changing situations
- Confidence to seek advice and guidance when dealing with new tasks
- Ability to follow instruction and with attention to detail and to give clear instruction, direction and guidance to more junior members of the team.
- Ability to recognise when sensitivity and tact are required.
- Good standard of education - 5 GCSE’s grade C/5 or equivalent including maths and English.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary to be discussed on application
- 25 days holiday per year (opportunity to buy & sell 3 days)
- Premium Headspace membership - teaching mindfulness, meditation and wellbeing
- Family Cover Private Medical Insurance BUPA
- Health Cash Plan
- Life assurance
- Critical Illness Cover
- PHI/Income Protection
Our culture is focussed on making Keoghs sustainable and successful for our people and clients, with this our five values are at the heart of everything we do;
We listen, are down to earth and supportive
We work together towards a common goal
We’re friendly with a can do attitude
We care about our clients
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'