Whether you are a bodybuilder, a professional athlete or simply exercising to improve your health, sports nutrition plays a key role in gaining maximum benefit from your physical activity. Making better decisions with your nutrition and hydration can result in improved performance, recovery and injury prevention.
If you take part in regular exercise and are looking to gain sound advice and specialist knowledge in this area, then this course is for you.
What will I learn?
This online course will provide you with sports nutrition advice in order to help you to understand the main nutritional areas and keep your diet well balanced, healthy and supportive towards the level of fitness you are trying to maintain or achieve.
Why should I enrol onto this course?
This informative programme consisting of 10 easy-to-digest modules promises to “get set go”, your exercise regime entirely from a dietary perspective. You can study it from anywhere, at anytime; therefore you will have the flexibility of continuing with any existing commitments.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
This course will provide good, sound nutritional advice, which is relevant to your daily physical activities.
- Understand the professional and ethical duties required of a Sports Nutritionist towards others.
- Look at a number of specialist terms to understand Diet and Nutrition.
- Be able to the SIX nutrients under one heading.
- Look at the FIVE food groups.
- Be able to classify the nutrient groups according to their functions and energy yields.
- Understand the difference between the terms calorie and Calorie.
- Recognise how the body can regarded as a nutrient store.
- Understand the terms metabolism and basal metabolic rate (BMR).
- Discover how physical activity can influence energy expenditure.
- Recognise a number of issues that may be regarded as Myths and Misconceptions.
- Learn the four headings that describe the information required from the Consultation.
- Discover the essential information required from the Record card.
- Have knowledge of why certain information required in the Record Card is essential.
- Learn of the essential information required from the Consultation card.
- Ascertain why certain information required in the Record Card is essential.
- Discover some important training theories used in the writing of programmes.
- Understand the influence of the major nutrients in sport.
- Understand the term 'Periodization' and its importance in planning training programmes.
- Gain knowledge of the sports nutritionist and coaching science relationship.
- Look at the basic principle that training intensity will have an effect upon nutritional demands of the athlete.
- Develop an understanding of the principle that the coach, athlete and sports nutritionist will work together to produce desired results.
- Understand how daily training loads will directly influence the dietary needs of the athlete.
- Learn how to calculate 'daily calorific requirements' of athletes.
- Gain knowledge of the needs for minerals and vitamins in the sporting diet.
- Be able to define the terms "mineral" and "vitamin".
- Recognise the need for minerals and vitamins in the body.
- Explore the possible effects of vitamin deficiencies in the diet.
- Be able to define the term 'balanced diet'.
- Understand the importance of the Food Pyramid.
- Understand the basic ideas of what 'makes for good meal planning.'
- Learn what is meant by one can begin to plan the diet of athletes in training.
- Look at water, its functions, the affects it has on diet and its regulation.
- Learn 3 advantages of water in the body.
- Discover how water is significant to the diet.
- Discover the 3 major origins of water.
- Examine the role weight control plays in the sporting industry.
- Evaluate what constitutes a vegetarian/vegan diet in sports nutrition.
- Understand how a Vegetarian/Vegan diet is advantageous to a sportsperson.
- Be able to introduce a one day eating plan for the client.
- Look at the various myths relating to sports nutrition.
- Examine how health and performance are affected by the intake of water.
- Discover how exercise aids in weight reduction.
- Analyse the nutritional supplements available to athletes.
- Study the affects of Glycogen on muscles, rebuilding ATP and the advantages of fatty acids on the body.
- Evaluate 3 biochemic energy sources for the rebuilding of ATP.
- Examine how the body benefits from the intake of essential fatty acids.
ADVANTAGES OF THIS COURSE
- No pre-requisite.
- Available with immediate access from anywhere.
- It can be studied in your own time, at your own pace.
- At the end of each unit there is a multiple choice question assessment, which is a great way to help you remember the main points of each lesson and confirmation that you have retained the essential knowledge.
- Once you have successfully completed all the modules for your course, you will be awarded: A Diploma.
- The nutrient groups
- Anatomy & physiology
- Myths and misconceptions
- The digestive system
- Principles of coaching in sport
- The glycaemic Index
- Planning the diet
- Weight control in sport
- Nutritional ergogenic aids
- Fluid balance
- The day of competition
- The latest thoughts on nutritional advice
- Replacing nutrients after competition
Course completion certificate included.
Free technical support available 7am-7pm GMT via email, telephone or online chat.
This course is compatible with Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad and Android devices.
Learn anytime, anywhere!
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.