Add to basket or enquire
The Proofreading & Copyediting course exclusively designed for individuals with satisfactory grammar and writing skills so that they can become a skilled Proofreader. You will become an expert in tracking errors while scanning digital and offline content on various subject matters.
This basic online course on proofreading will help you master the effective tools of editing like checking the content for spelling, punctuation and grammar errors, and basic formatting. This introductory course will also teach you a wide range of tips and tricks for proofreading efficiently, with no mistakes unnoticed.
You will have constant guidance from our expert instructors and relevant study materials online. Upon successful completion of the course, you will have the practical knowledge and accreditation to explore a wide range of career paths in the field of Proofreading.
We’ve taken this comprehensive Proofreading & Copyediting Course and broken it down into 11 manageable units which we believe will assist you to easily grasp each concept – from the fundamental to the most advanced aspects of these skills. It really is a sure pathway to success.
This course is designed with the following modules:
Module 01: Proofreading Basics
- What is proofreading?
- Why is proofreading important?
- Proofreading references
- Formatting and presentation
- The job of a proofreader
- A proofreader’s personal qualities
- Language awareness and grammatical knowledge
- Proofreading terminology
- What proofreaders do?
- What is copy-editing?
- A proofreading and copy-editing glossary
- The publishing process from a proofreading perspective
Module 02: Applying the Style Guide
- Applying the style guide
- What a style guide is used for
- A list of standard style manuals
- Applying the style guide to different kinds of copy
Module 03: Spelling and Grammar
- Where to find reliable spelling and grammar references
- Spotting and correcting spelling and grammatical errors
- Identify the weaknesses in the text
Module 04: Proofreading on Paper
- Marking up a text on paper
- Methods and techniques of proofreading
- Marking up copy clearly and accurately
Module 05: Proofreading On-screen
- Methods and techniques for proofreading on-screen
- Proofreading for the commoner errors
- Proofreading for Stylistic Problems
Module 06: Copy-editing Basics
- The job of a copy-editor
- Common mistakes in a document
- The different levels of editing
- Getting your quote right
Module 07: Copy-editing – the Use of Language
- A summary of editing techniques
- Editing to produce fluent and simple copy
- Editing to remove inappropriate material
- Editing copy for multicultural audiences
Module 08: Copy-editing – Checking Accuracy and Facts
- Analysing words and phrases for accurate meaning
- Make sure a quote is a quote
- Begin with what you already know
Module 09: Copy-editing – the Beginning and the End
- Become a sourcing expert
- What is a reference mark?
- What style should you use for your note citations?
Module 10: Copy-editing – Legal Checks
- Explicit consent
- Consumer rights
- Value exchange
- Other considerations
Module 11: Finding Work and Developing Your Career
- How to find proofreading and copy-editing clients
- Copy-editing work
- Freelancing and building up your own business
How is the course assessed?
To successfully complete the course you must pass an automated, multiple-choice assessment. The assessment is delivered through our online learning platform. You will receive the results of your assessment immediately upon completion.
Will I receive a certificate of completion?
Upon successful completion, you will qualify for the UK and internationally-recognised professional qualification and you can choose to make your achievement formal by obtaining your PDF Certificate at a cost of £9 and Hardcopy Certificate for £15.
Who is this course for?
This Proofreading & Copyediting course is suitable for anyone interested in working in this sector or who simply wants to learn more about the topic. If you’re an individual looking to excel within this field then Proofreading & Copyediting course is for you.
The Proofreading & Copyediting course is open to all, with no formal entry requirements. All you need is a passion for learning, a good understanding of the English language, numeracy and IT, and to be over the age of 16.
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
Margaret Jones asked:
How long does it take to complete the course and how many hours of study would I need to do?
Dear Margaret, Thank you for contacting us. The estimated duration of this course is 6 hours. You can access the course for 1 year. ThanksThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Victoria Bignell asked:
Could I do this course on an i-Pad?
Dear Victoria, Thank you for contacting us. Yes, an iPad is compatible to do the course. Stay Safe Stay Healthy.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Please can you explain the procedure that I should follow to purchase my certificate. Thank you.
Dear Lysa, Thank you for contacting us. You can order the certificate from your dashboard by using the 'Order Your Certificate Now' button. Stay Safe Stay Healthy.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.