Pharmacy Assistant Diploma -CPD Certified
Pharmacy is a unique and enterprising field and you can look forward to enjoying a meaningful and exciting career. The role of pharmacy is a crucial one and it contributes to the healthcare system in several valuable ways. As an assistant pharmacist, you will enjoy opportunities to interact with patients and dispense medications in line with prescriptions issued by a certified health professional. You will also be in charge of managing stocks, advising patients on dosage regimes, benefits and side-effects of medication and so on.
If the pharmacy that you work for is active in the community, you may also get the opportunity to participate in public health education and awareness campaigns.
What you will learn
The training course will help introduce you to multiple aspects of the pharmacy sector:
- Introduction to the field of pharmacy: The course will introduce you to the importance and role of the pharmacy profession. You will have the opportunity to learn about how the pharmacy sector plays a pivotal role in the UK’s healthcare system.
- The Pharmacy Team: As an assistant, you will be working together with a pharmacy team. The course will explain the different component members of a pharmacy team. Pharmacy assistants may work in community, retail or hospital pharmacy environments. As a pharmacy assistant, you may also have the opportunity to develop your customer service skills.
- Checking and management of stocks in a pharmacy: Pharmacy assistants are often in charge of tracking and managing stocks in a pharmacy. The stocks may include medication, surgical gloves and bandages among many other healthcare-related commodities.
- The role of a pharmacy assistant: As a pharmacy assistant, you will be expected to execute multiple tasks and responsibilities. Some examples include management of prescriptions, dispensation of medication, interacting with customers, ordering supplies, delivering medications etc to different parts of a hospital and so on.
- Regulations, health and safety in a pharmacy: According to UK law, there are certain standards of health and safety that are governed by regulations. As a pharmacy assistant, you will be actively involved in the implementation of health and safety rules.
- Prescriptions: One of the most important parts of your job would involve dispensation of medications. The training course will explain how to read and interpret prescriptions and how to avoid mistakes. The course will also cover risk assessment and error prevention.
- Reporting problems and issues to the pharmacist: You will also learn how to report problems and issues to the pharmacist.
The course will also explain work environments, salaries and career advancement and learning about these topics will help you make an informed career decision.
The ten modules on 'How to become a Pharmacy Assistant' will help stimulate your interest in the field of pharmacy. Every aspiring pharmacy assistant can develop his or her personal niche and will have early opportunities to improve their efficacy and competence in the field. The training course is designed to give you a solid foundation on which you can begin your career as a pharmacy assistant.
Module 1: How to become a Pharmacy Assistant
- Role and importance of pharmacy in the healthcare system
- Brief history and development of pharmacy in the UK
- Multiple benefits of pharmacy
- How the pharmacy sector can contribute to patient outcomes
Module 2: How to become a Pharmacy Assistant The Pharmacy Team and Practices (Part I)
- How pharmacists can support self-care choices amongst patients
- Significance of self-medication practices and how the pharmacy team plays a crucial role
- Code of Ethics for Pharmacy team workers
- Seven principles of Code of Ethics (Royal Pharmaceutical Society)
Module 3: How to become a Pharmacy Assistant The Pharmacy Team and Practices (Part II)
- Vision for the future
- The pharmacy team
- Role of the pharmacy assistant
- Skills and knowledge required for the role of pharmacy assistant
Module 4: How to become a Pharmacy Assistant Communication in Pharmacy Settings
- Changing communication behaviour in pharmacies
- Establishment of open, honest and mutual relationships
- Communication behaviour in community pharmacies
- Important aspects of communication behaviour in pharmacy settings
Module 5: Pharmacy Assistant Patient Counselling Guide
- Detailed guide to patient counselling in a pharmacy
- Therapeutic alliance, egalitarian relationships and self-awareness
- Barriers to effective communication in a pharmacy setting
- Assumptions and their role in counselling communication
Module 6 : Job Role and Responsibilities and Patient Record Maintenance in a Pharmacy
- Define roles and responsibilities executed by pharmacy assistants
- Pharmacy record keeping and maintenance
- Information contained in pharmaceutical records
- How EHR records are useful for pharmacy record keeping
Module 7 : Fundamentals of Prescription and Drug Dispensation
- Explaining prescriptions and the information contained in them
- Why pharmacy workers should learn about drug dispensation
- Factors affecting accurate dispensation of drugs
- Cleanliness and hygiene in the dispensing area
Module 8 : Different Dispensing Methods, Electronic Prescription Service, How to Minimise Dispensation Errors
- Different types of dispensing methods
- Electronic prescription services
- Prescription and dispensing tokens
- Medicine dispensation errors and how to minimise them
Module 9 : Stock Management in Pharmacies
- Different methods and technologies used for stocking products
- Understand the concepts of availability, turnover and expiration dates
- Process of ordering medication, along with use of appropriate inventory terminology
- Automatic, manual stock and special ordering procedures
Module 10 : Health and Safety Risks Assessment and Pharmaceutical Terminology
- Basics of pharmacy terminology
- Importance of health and safety standards and risk assessments in pharmacies
- Pharmacy health and safety standards guidelines
- Arrangement of medicines on pharmacy shelves
Who is this course for?
There is no experience or previous qualifications required for enrolment on this course. It is available to all students, of all academic backgrounds.
Steven Kasozi – Harlow
This was an absolute joy.
Amazing course, very insightful and surprisingly current. I work in the healthcare industry and this course answered a lot of my questions about the pharmaceutical field and the future relationship between the NHS and the Pharmacies.
What an innovative way to learn. Congrats everyone who put this together. I’m now hungry for further studies. The cost is next to nothing and I would definitely recommend the service to anyone. Actually, I plan to inform my colleagues about my success and will forward them here to try this out and see if they’ll be impressed as I am.
This was an absolute joy. Credit to New Skills Academy for offering this.
Shane Hills – Northants
I would recommend anyone to study
Great course lots to learn and apply very informative, as a pharmacy assistant this course has given me more knowledge and confidence to provide great services to my customers.
Assignments were easy to follow and I would recommend anyone to study a course at New Skills Academy as you can do them in your own time.
Having a certificate not only boosts my confidence, but also shows my employers that i have learnt new skills and have gained more information that is useful for my area of work.
Thanks very much New Skills Academy, I will study with you again!
Our Course is fully compatible with PC’s, Mac’s, Laptop, Tablet and Smartphone devices. Now more than ever people are using the internet while on the move so our course has been designed to be fully compatible on tablets and smartphones so you can access your course on wifi, 3G or 4G.
There is no time limit for completing this course, it can be studied in your own time at your own pace.
All tests are online and are taken either during or after the course, these are included in the price.
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
Do you provide hard copy(parchment) of the certificate?
Hi Prasad, Yes, there will be a small fee for this depending on country of residence.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
What is the timeline for completion? Is early completion possible?
You have lifetime access to your course so you can take as long as needed to complete :)This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.