The Java Expert / Technical Architect
Chapter One - The Start Up
It started with a conversation in Paddington station on a blustery Thursday afternoon.
It started with a belief that there was already enough computing power in the world but an imbalance between supply and demand. Limitless Compute was born (well eventually!), harnessing underutilised computing power and enabling organisations to leverage this on demand. All that was left was to find something to do with it…
Three years, 16 more staff, 4 awards and 1000 customers later the 3D graphics and Animation industry will never be the same again. The world’s leading Animation and Visual Effect companies will no longer wonder if there is a better way of doing things.
So far so good.
Chapter 2 - The Scale Up
But the revolution continues…
Financial Services is next and we’re already talking to some of the largest investment banks but we’re not planning to stop there. We need a Java Expert who wants to move into a Technical Architect role. You’ll be responsible for the development of our core platform that makes the world go round and make it better and ready for our next steps.
Want to help us write the rest?……
YellowDog people are fun loving, reliable, genuine and adventurous. As we build YellowDog we are creating an environment we want to work in. We are looking for new members of the team who can bring a range of new skills, experiences and backgrounds to this exciting challenge and become part of something that we believe will revolutionise the way computing power is used across multiple industries.
We’re based in Engine Shed in Bristol which puts us at the heart of one of the leading tech clusters in the UK and in one of the best cities to live in the country.
Our core platform is based in Java and powers everything we do. We are looking for an individual who can Design, Develop and Architect this platform ensuring it is reliable, secure and scalable as we grow as well as be involved in a range of other customer projects. You’ll still be hands-on with the code whilst making architectural and design decisions across software, infrastructure, network and storage. You will:
- Lead effective architecture and design in all core products delivered by teams in the UK and Lithuania, ensuring the right processes, communication, and reviews are in place and encourage the teams to collaborate fully with total trust
- Lead development teams to write scalable Java code with a focus on code quality and performance
- Work collaboratively with multiple development teams to design and execute on a given technical solution, managing multiple products
- Ensure that architecture is secure by design, adhering to ISO 25010:2011, and that our data centre operations (using partners) meet ISO27001.
- Architect, design, develop, test and maintain frontend, backend and peer to peer services
- Ensure all solutions are effectively instrumented for analysis to ensure development is driven by sound, actionable insights.
- Deliver services capable of 99.9% availability in production, and create high customer satisfaction levels
- Work with YellowDog management to define and deliver measurable process improvements
- Monitor and benchmarking systems to drive operational performance improvements
- Design meaningful engaging user experiences / interfaces
You’ll be an expert level Java Developer with a good appreciation of Design and Architecture and experience in distributed system. You’ll also have a number of the below and be willing to learn the rest.
- Absolute focus on quality and robust
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving and a strategic mindset
- Experience with a range of operating systems, hypervisors and container engines
- Solid understanding of IP networks including firewalls and VPNs
- Expert knowledge of distributed systems, scalability and fault tolerant design
- Experience of Spring/Hibernate
- Experience with testing frameworks, continuous integration and deployment and build tools.
- Familiarity building enterprise class front-end applications using AngluarJS and React
- Documenting and recording actions in Confluence and Jira
Yolk Recruitment is working in partnership with YellowDog on a retained basis for the recruitment of a number of key roles including this. If you wish to apply to this role please contact Matthew Sykes at Yolk Recruitment or simply apply to this advertisement via the methods outlined. Please note that YellowDog will not be accepting direct applications, and will direct you back to Yolk. For an initial informal discussion then please contact Matthew on the phone number provided.