System Administrator (UNIX Windows)
What you’ll be doing...
* Within the department of Server and Services Management, you will be part of a third level engineering group responsible for design and support of UNIX- and Windows-based managed servers and application services.
* With over 2500 systems supported (along with enterprise storage devices and backup systems) across the globe, it is vital solutions we deploy can be scaled up.
* Keeping our infrastructure secure is also one of the key tasks of the group and requires initiative, taking ownership of, and interaction with different groups in and outside of the company to resolve issues quickly.
* In your role, you will act as an escalation point for tier 1 & 2 on issues they cannot resolve themselves, which requires initiative and taking ownership to reach quick solutions, reducing customer impact.
* Where required, you may need to write new tools and/or processes to be used by all tiers to help them do their jobs.
* This exciting role is based in Amsterdam or Dortmund with interfaces to the other functional groups within the department spread across Europe and AsiaPac regions.
Verizon Enterprise Services
Verizon Enterprise Services is a leading provider of advanced communications solutions to enterprises and governments. It is one of the three operating units of Verizon Communications, Inc., (NYSE:VZ) and has offices in 75 countries and six continents. We provide mission-critical communications services for organizations worldwide, including 94% of Fortune 500 companies.
The company’s comprehensive solutions and service portfolio ranges from virtual private networks (VPNs), network services and application services to security solutions and hosting. Verizon Enterprise Services is moving forward with network enhancements and business process enhancements that will provide the foundation for next-generation services and a consistently excellent customer experience.
The Verizon Enterprise Services commitment to customers and approach to the global enterprise market is characterized by its global capability and personal accountability.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
* Bachelor’s degree orwork experience
Even better if you have:
* Solaris 10 & 11 (including certifications)
* Linux (Red Hat) knowledge (minimal RH6, ideally RH7 also, looking for experience with Linux overall)
* General UNIX knowledge. AIX and HP-UX knowledge is a plus.
* Familiar with virtualisation technologies such as VMware (ESXi)
* General networking knowledge (TCP./IP, routing (protocols), switching, virtual OVM networking) and understanding of IP protocols like SMTP, DNS, IMAP, NTP, SNMP including the ability to debug them using tools as tcpdump, wireshark, dtrace.
* Familiar with Kerberos and PAM
* Advanced scripting (perl, python, expect, bash, ksh, (php optional)
* Ability to read and understand C and C++ code and compile/package using both CC as GCC compilers.
* Moderate DBA knowledge (MySQL, Postgres, Oracle)
* Understanding of security issues as announced by vendors as well as security risks with network services. Able to review, coordinate and implement mitigations timely keeping the risks to our business in mind.
* Understanding of SAN storage & large scale backup environments.
* Strategically thinking and business understanding
* High degree of dedication and professionalism
* High flexibility
* High productivity and efficiency
* Experience of working in large environments with critical infrastructure, often remotely administered with no direct local hands.
* Feel comfortable with working in virtual teams with members across the world and able to travel on request.
* Experience of working with processes and procedures following ITILv3
* Able to lead and construct/review bigger scale projects alone, with conference callsand clear project documentation and communication.
* Able to work on her/his own, multitasking and able to cope with flexible working hours (i.e. assistance on projects, outages etc.)
* Fluent English writing/speaking and professional reporting
* Eager to keep up with evolving technologies used within Verizon and explore them using own initiative
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
- Software Development
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'