Senior Engineer Intelligent Transport Systems
Your new role
As a Senior Intelligent Transport Systems Engineer, you will act as a source of expertise leading on the delivery of better engineering outcomes. Working at a national level, you will develop and implement policies and standards to support the development and maintenance of Highways England's electrical assets across a variety of projects.
Developing and applying your understanding of the relevant statutory requirements, external standards and good design principles. You will be responsible for providing advice on intelligent transport systems and electrical issues supporting road projects through the options and development process.
This role can be based from any of our Highways England offices including Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Guildford.
What you'll be leading on
* Act as a source of electrical subject matter expertise; to provide appropriate advice and guidance to Highways England, its contractors and suppliers.
* Providing accurate, practical and timely technical advice (including reviews and governance) to support colleagues in resolving technical issues, focusing particularly on power distribution and network connection.
* Internal and external stakeholder engagement to promote and gain commitment to delivering better design outcomes, identify key areas for improvement and contribute to development of policies and standards.
* Ensuring that the standards and advice deliver the outcomes expected.
To be successful
* Relevant background in electrical engineering. Preferred qualification is BSc or HNC as a minimum or relevant experience.
* An understanding of highway design principles and sound knowledge of relevant design standards such as DMRB.
* The ability to work effectively with others to support the delivery of improved engineering outcomes, whilst dealing constructively with setbacks.
* Good written and spoken communication skills and be able to work as part of a team.
* Ability to use a combination of general and specialist knowledge and understanding to optimise the solutions to complex power distribution and network connection issues.
* Membership of a related professional institution and on the way or already incorporated engineer or equivalent.
A bit about us
Safety, Engineering and Standards (SES) is an exciting place to work. SES key priorities are to support world class operational delivery and technical advice for our road network, provide support services to lead, enable and innovate in the development of the Strategic Road Network and provide expert advice on matters relating to health and safety. If you are looking for a challenging, exhilarating and world class organisation then join one of our dedicated, professional teams leading on technical services, health and safety, sustainability and diversity agendas for Highways England.
Want to know more?
Take a look at our role profile here.
Interviews will take place early November 2019.
Why you should join us
At Highways England, safety is our number one priority. It is one of our core values, as well as a behaviour we expect from our people.
Our vision is that everyone who uses our roads, as well as those who work for us, get home, safe and well. Our Home Safe and Well approach sets out our commitments and how our employees can contribute.
Working for us, you'll recognise the behaviours required to achieve our vision, and help create a fair and just culture for us all. You should be able to fully understand the hazards and risks that are involved in your work, and follow our procedures safely.
We want you to feel able to raise health, safety and wellbeing concerns with your colleagues, and to challenge unsafe conditions or behaviours wherever you see them. We're always seeking to improve our performance, and want you to be at the heart of that - helping us all get home safe and well.
We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'