Highways England are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased, this has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done. Considering that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which is why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. At the same time, we'll improve how we work. That means we will be able to; plan roadworks better to minimise disruption; clear incidents more quickly; and save more than £1 billion by working more efficiently. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy.
For further information on Highways England, please visit our website: www.highwaysengland.co.uk
We are currently recruiting for a Scheme Project Manager to be based in the Preston office on a permanent basis. The successful candidate will manage the planning and delivery of projects to ensure the achievement of project objectives within agreed time, quality, and cost thresholds.
Day to day
* A detailed understanding of the relevant Health & Safety legislation and a proactive approach to promote this within schemes
* To manage the delivery of allocated projects within the Region's in-year programme, across all stages of the project lifecycle
* To establish and maintain professional relationships
* To develop project plans, agree key project milestones, scope, acceptable risks and priorities
* To ensure project delivery plans are optimised through effective collaboration between key stakeholders and supply chain
* To be responsible for day-to-day management and control of all project activities across the design, construction and post-completion phases of capital delivery projects
* To commission and manage the performance of delivery partners and expert consultancy support as appropriate, ensuring that project objectives and requirements are clearly understood, setting clear expectations for time, cost and quality, and taking appropriate remedial action where necessary
* Proactively manage project costs, providing forecasts and presenting variances with narrative at appropriate review points, to ensure effective utilisation
* A good understanding of Health & Safety legislation
* Significant experience of managing the delivery of multiple concurrent capital investment projects
* Experience of successfully leading a team
* Experience of managing and maintaining agreed project plans and detailed stage plans in conjunction with delivery partners
* Knowledge and understanding of CDM Health & Safety regulations
* Evidence of strong stakeholder management and effective communication skills
* Recognised qualification in Project or Programme Management (desirable)
* Recognised qualification in Civil Engineering or significant experience in the delivery of Civil Engineering projects
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application. You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
For further information please click here for the job role profile.
All candidates will be required to provide valid proof of Right to Work in the UK and ID at interview.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible.
Help keep England moving. We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at recruitment.highways.gov.uk/
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job