- Ref: DEVNE1
- Location: Blackpool/Preston
- Salary: Up to 52,600 (dependent on experience & assessment performance)
- Contract: Full time (40 hours)
- Contract Length: 23 month fixed term contracts & permanent contracts (dependent on eligibility)
The Client Innovation Centre (CIC), with emphasis on innovation, is a new, innovative and exciting part of IBM. Did we mention that we’re dedicated to innovation? The CIC is a fast-paced and dynamic business, created to deliver high-value technical services to world renowned clients. Buzzing with invention, originality and a pioneering spirit, it feels like an entrepreneurial start-up, but with the support of the world's largest IT and consulting services company.
We offer a unique experience for those with exceptional talent, extraordinary ambitions and forward thinking ideas. The CIC is place for people with real enthusiasm and a passion for IT, a place for those who want a challenge, ask questions, and explore what’s possible.
We could write here about how we want flexible, hard-working and driven individuals to join our rapidly expanding team, and we do, but we’re also looking for more than that. We want people who will go the extra mile, grab the bull by the horns and shout "I can do this!" We’re looking for people that are hungry to grow, who think outside the box and that thrive in a friendly and energetic working environment.
What do we look for in a person?
- Resilience to change - Because it can and will happen
- Passionate - To make a difference
- Inquisitive - Go on, ask a question!
- Team Player - Teamwork makes the dream work
- Fun - As it’s a vital part of our innovative culture!
This is not a list of generic personal attributes, this is a list of what we are looking for in an employee, a list of qualities that we live and breathe in the CIC. If this sounds like you, then we want you in our team!
As one of the world’s largest, and most innovative, companies we deliver top-notch services using cutting-edge technology, so your skills count! We’re looking for Developers that can demonstrate a proven track record in development for specific systems on a range of platforms including Linux, Microsoft and various mobile environments. You will be working with other developers who are building service oriented architecture and using distributed databases providing a unique opportunity to cross skill to learn new technologies and influence the direction of development. Ideal candidates will have experience within the development life-cycle including design, build, coding, and will be confident in using programming languages and tools to deliver a range of solutions.
Successful candidate must demonstrate:
- Experience working in a DevOps environment
- Proven skills and experience in translating UI design to web applications
- Experience in developing with frameworks like React, Redux, AngularJS, jQuery and related technologies.
- Experience of working in an agile environment and understanding of the full software development lifecycle
- Experience with web apps utilising MongoDB and either Postgres or another relational database system.
- Experience in building accessible, responsive designs that support down to IE8
- Experience with BDD, writing the spec files that run Gherkin scripts, using WebDriverIO (or any other Selenium driver)
- Experience with using a test-driven approach to building applications and using static-analysis tooling to drive towards quality code
- Knowledge of best practices for coding defensively against possible attack vectors, and testing with OWASP tooling (e.g. ZAP)
Desirable skills include:
- Experience with Drupal or PHP
- Familiarity of working with Git
- Experience with development workflow tools e.g. Webpack/Gulp/Grunt.
We’re looking for people with a degree in Computer Science or related subject. We typically ask for a 2:1 or above, however, if you don’t have a 2:1 degree and have a strong background in front end development, we will still consider your application.
Perks don’t hurt
As well as a competitive salary and a career in a world- leading IT organisation, we also offer a number of additional benefits! As an employee at the IBM CIC UK, you will receive access to our Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme, as well as discounts at leading high street and online retailers. Our offices are modern with agile work spaces, with the addition of flexible break out areas - some of our sites also have table tennis and arcade games!
As the CIC is very much an employee focused environment we are proud of our employee training programmes. As part of the CIC, you will have the opportunity to undertake a multitude of training courses with an extensive range of classroom, e-learning, interactive and video courses. With our support, you will have the opportunity to acquire industry recognised qualifications, gain valuable experience with globally renowned companies and work with industry leading technologies. If you are as passionate about IT as we are, this will hopefully excite you as much as it excites us!
As part of the CIC, you will have the opportunity to travel to client’s sites and other IBM and CIC centres across the UK, sometimes even further! Travel flexibility is important to us as our clients often like to work with you face to face. You will be expected to travel throughout your employment so we are looking for explorers, those people who are willing to go the extra mile for our clients (quite literally!). If you are not willing to travel to projects then we won’t be able to consider your application.
All applicants must hold a UK work permit or visa valid for a two year period prior to applying. Unfortunately, we do not offer visa sponsorship and have no future plans to do so.
For certain projects, ideally candidates will be British Nationals with a minimum of 5 years UK residency, preferably 10 years.