Position: Lead Design Engineer (Structural bias)
Alternative Titles: Design Manager, Technical Manager, Head of Design
Location: Yorkshire - M62 corridor, Goole, Doncster, Wakefield, Leeds, Hull, York
Salary: £50,000-£65,000 according to experience
Place of work: 90% office based 10% site based
Please note: due to the nature of the role, the potential for home working is limited
About the role:
- You will be the Design Lead on complex CAPEX projects which can range in value from £100,000 to £5 million plus.
- You will be managing a multi-skilled team of 8 design engineers who are responsible for all the design / drawing aspects of the project.
As the Design Lead, you will have 2 main parts to the job. These are :-
- allocation of work, recruitment, training and development, discipline & performance ie people management
- checking work quality, managing all design files, ensuring adherence to customer specification i.e process & systems management
- You will ensure that all structural requirements for industrial buildings are met without being "over-engineered". This will include mainly steel frames / walls / roof / ceilings and the footprint of where a structure will actually stand eg foundations, concrete and any reinforcements. This will mainly require static load calculations to be carried out / checked but will also involve some dynamic loads to be calculated eg wind effects, machinery vibrations.
- Providing input into basic civil engineering requirements relating to industrial property eg trenches and the legal requirement for the running of gas, water, electricity, telecoms, effluent or other waste, etc
- Attending progress meetings with client either in the office or on site as necessary
- Providing ongoing progress reports to the Board and to Project Managers
- Reacting to design amendments mid-project, ensuring that any amendments are fit for purpose and do not impact on other parts of the project
- Acting as the subject matter expert on ways of working, CAD system management, design file maintenance and utilising information from previous design projects to ensure that the customer receives the best possible solution.
- Working with sales / proposals to provide necessary information and plans to enable accurate and competitive tenders to be submitted
- Degree qualified in a relevant subject - Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering or very similar
- Chartered Engineer preferred but not essential
- Able to perform and check structural calculations static and dynamic. Experience of using stress analysis / load calculation software is preferred.
- A broad engineering background will be essential - projects are varied and will require you to have been involved with as many of the following as possible - industrial buildings, basic civil engineering, M & E, structural steelwork, provision of utilities into new industrial buildings, process plant (the integration of process plant into industrial buildings), building and construction regulations • Any architectural experience would be a real bonus eg doors, windows, aesthetics,
- Familiar with a high level 3d CAD package is essential
- Experience with Tekla and / or Revit is beneficial
- Strong people management skills - a natural leader able to motivate without being autocratic. Able to develop and mentor a multi-skilled team
- Project management / project tracking experience
- Client facing, happy in customer project meetings and on site
- Quality driven
- Good commercial awareness - any materials estimating / quantity surveying skills would be useful OR able to converse on a professional level with QS
- Civil Engineering
- Design Management
- Structural Engineering
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'