Java Developer / Scala Engineer (Java / Scala / JVM)
This role represents an excellent opportunity to join quite a young team in an established and highly reputable software company. This new team is focused on the rapid prototyping and production of highly scalable projects in an Agile environment and using the TypeSafe (Scala, Akka, Play) development stack. There is a big focus on the effective use of Functional Programming because of the increased scalability and a significant improvement on Fault Tolerance.
This part of an on-going expansion plan to build up the specialist development capability in the company with a big focus on Scala and Functional Programming.
Java Developer / Scala Engineer Role and Responsibilities:
- Join a fairly young team focused on the design, prototyping and development of complex, data-driven distributed systems
- Champion the use of Functional Programming techniques (especially Scala & the TypeSafe stack)
- Work in a highly Agile environment, implementing Continuous Integration and Deployment as well as Test Driven Development
- Work in a multiple-project environment on both long-term and short-term projects concurrently
- Work in an R&D environment, responsible for the rapid prototyping of projects and then taking these through to production
- Work with the latest Open Source technologies to deal with masses of data in a real time, parallel and distributed, big data environment
- Liaise with both internal and external clients on a technical basis
Java Developer / Scala Engineer Skills Required:
- Strong skills in software design and development on the JVM
- Significant Java experience (or comparable Scala experience)
- Some commercial, academic or personal experience of Functional Programming techniques (ideally commercial but personal projects or academic experience considered) ideally with components of the TypeSafe stack; Scala, Akka and Play
- Experience with wider JVM development (e.g. Groovy) or Functional Programming (Erlang, Haskell, F#, Clojure) would be advantageous
- A strong understanding of parallel and distributed systems
- Experience of working with very large datasets
- Advanced knowledge of Computer Science principles
- Some experience of other big data technologies and Open Source technologies would always be of interest; NoSQL, Hadoop, GoLang, Python, Angular.JS, Backbone.JS, Node.JS etc.
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to interact with both internal and external clients
- A strong academic track record would be preferable but not a prerequisite
- Reading, Banbury, Oxford, London to name a few.
£40,000 - £65,000 + company benefits (multiple roles available)
Glenn Rose @ reQiva Digital Careers
- Agile Environment