Head of Development & Testing
£50,000 per annum plus 28 days annual leave & other generous benefits
Hays IT are working in partnership with a public sector organisation in Birmingham City Centre to recruit a Head of Development & Testing on a permanent basis.
Our client are seeking an experienced leader of IT teams who will be responsible for providing leadership and vision for the IT Systems function within the IT department for their organisation. Reporting to the Deputy Director of IT, you will provide direction and line management for the business and systems analysis team, the software development team, and the software testing team who are based in Birmingham and Newcastle.
Systems that are currently managed by this team include the Funding Management System, which is the core information system for the organisation, the Online Portal, an external customer facing application interface, and other cloud based and on premise solutions. A number of systems have been developed by external software development bodies; leadership for the management of software providers is also within the scope for this role.
* Provide leadership and management for the Systems function of the IT department (team of 20-25 including DBA's, Testers & Developers)
* Make constructive and effective contributions to the IT strategy and operational plans, help formulate and progress IT and IS systems strategies that allow the organisation to achieve strategic objectives.
* Be responsible for the delivery of appropriate application service, support and information to all users, including the contractual agreement, transition and ongoing management of application service level agreements (SLAs) in conjunction with all Heads of functions.
* Optimise the utilisation of resources in delivering and supporting the solutions provided.
* Determine the most appropriate design of systems in conjunction with Support and Infrastructure teams to support the business, taking into account prevailing best practices and technologies.
* Accountable for the implementation of audit recommendations relating to processes, systems and controls.
* Budget responsibility for the support and maintenance of systems contracts.
* Provide regular progress reports to the IT Leadership Team.
* Contribute to business continuity planning and continuous application system improvements.
* Identify and shape current and future needs for staff skills, hardware, systems and accommodation and make recommendations for improvements and changes.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
* Experience of managing at least one functional area.
* Experience of managing teams at differing levels and across dispersed areas.
* Industry best practice awareness/qualifications.
* Experience of influencing IT strategic direction
* Significant level of technical/specialist knowledge in one or more of the functional areas managed.
* Understanding of IT best practice principles and frameworks, from working in best-practice environments (eg. ITIL)
* Experience of operating in a business partnering environment.
* Experience of managing 3rd party suppliers.
* Experience of managing budgets.
* Project management expertise.
* Degree level or equivalent experience
* IT Best Practice Framework (ITIL, etc) foundation or better
* Project management qualification
* Software Development qualification
* Business and/or Systems Analysis qualification
* Software testing qualification
If you have the necessary experience and would like to apply for this role please apply now with an up to date copy of your CV outlining your relevant skills and experience, together with your current salary, salary requirements for this role and also your notice period/availability.
Alternatively you can call Daney Bowen at Hays IT in Birmingham on if you require additional information.