Gartner, Inc. (NYSE: IT) is the world’s leading information technology research and advisory company. We deliver the technology-related insight necessary for our clients to make the right decisions, every day. From CIOs and senior IT leaders in corporations and government agencies, to business leaders in high-tech and telecom enterprises and professional services firms, to technology investors, we are the valuable partner to 60,000 clients in 11,700 distinct organizations.
Through the resources of Gartner Research, Gartner Executive Programs, Gartner Consulting and Gartner Events, we work with every client to research, analyze and interpret the business of IT within the context of their individual role. Founded in 1979, Gartner is headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, U.S.A., and has over 14,500 associates, including 1,250 research analysts and consultants, and clients in over 90 countries.
For more information, please visit us at https://
The Research Director will create a body of technology focused Gartner research, analysis, and advice for end user clients. This will be communicated to clients via published research and compelling interactions. In addition, this body of research will support the sales force in sales and retention activities.
The body of research is aimed at providing insight, predictions and actionable advice to clients relating to Financial IT Systems particularly as related to the support for client’s Postmodern ERP strategies. These systems would include the following functionality: general ledger; finance planning, budgeting, and forecasting; accounts receivable; fixed assets; project accounting; invoicing; and revenue recognition.
Of particular importance is the ability to present this research in a way that engages senior Finance IT leaders, ERP leaders and also the CIO. Cloud deployment options and benefits realization are two areas of high interest. Key responsibilities are:
- Create and maintain multiple thought leading research documents by evaluating products, solutions, trends and results; interviewing clients, vendors, and industry experts, and writing compelling and actionable research which is then published on gartner.com.
- Provide individualized advice for both end-user as well as vendor clients regarding Gartner research through compelling and actionable 30-minute video based interactions (inquiries).
- Prepare and deliver one or more content presentation(s) at one or more of the company's conferences, and perform tasks to support conferences, such as client 1:1 meetings.
- Provides on-site client and vendor strategic advisory services to senior executives as requested.
- Contribute to the team’s success through agenda planning and development by participating in planning meetings and completing action items and assignments given.
- Remain current on developments and issues within the area of finance IT systems and the needs of the CFO’s office. Be able to contribute ideas and generate compelling scenarios for such systems ranging from the overall strategy to follow, through to the forecast business outcomes and including vendor selection as well as where new enabling technologies, for example, real-time reporting, and Blockchain could bring business benefits.
- Provide substantive peer review and collaborate with analysts in related as well as unrelated areas of research.
This is a key position and requires the person to be completely conversant with the finance IT systems needed by every organization and sponsored by the needs of the CFO office.
Understanding how these systems form a part of the postmodern ERP and the interplay between modernising finance systems and modernising back-office operational systems (or ERP) is a must.
The successful candidate is required to understand how this market is developing, what new technologies will change the market in the next five years, how users will consume the developed functionality, and what the vendor landscape will look like.
This understanding must also translate from the tactical knowledge of these aspects into the strategic aspects that enterprises must consider to realize the value of such a key enterprise asset that business as well as technology leaders can act on. The need for and the impact of change and change leadership are other key elements that the role must address.
An ability to understand the impact of Cloud (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS), In Memory Computing (IMC,) the impact of the Internet of Things (Iot) and other Digital Business technologies and how they can help transform financial processes is required. The successful candidate must have led user organization initiatives, for example, responsibility for finance IT systems strategy.
The candidate must have a good understanding of the business needs driving this market not just IT program/project/implementation experience. Candidates with only extensive pre-sales support experience or single vendor exposure are unlikely to have the required skills.
The successful candidate must be a conceptual thinker, able to work in an environment with multiple goals and tasks, be able to deliver with great quality and on time and be able to “make rain.”
Additionally, the candidate should be able to contribute/create the agenda story and be capable of representing the overall story citing the primary audiences, user needs, compelling issues and future scenarios. Skills and experiences include conceptual as well as critical thinking, creativity, fine writing, presentation/speaking, etc, with a solid IT and business background. Requirements include:
- 10+ years experience working within this technology field.
- Bachelor's degree in related field. An accounting degree would be a bonus.
- Significant applicable experience of finance IT systems, processes and major vendors. Experience of either leading finance IT initiatives or representing finance business needs to cross-functional project teams is required.
- Demonstrated ability to piece together fragments of information, applying conceptual models, recognizing patterns and drawing and defending conclusions leading to the ability to “take a position”.
- Self-starter, eager to learn about new technologies both inside and outside their field of expertise and willing to keep their finger on the pulse of the changing IT landscape to meet the demands of our customers.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job