What you'll be doing
We are currently looking for an Accountant in the Cost & Investment team who will be responsible for Business Partnering of Directors and/or cost centre managers within the Finance, Risk, People Experience and Strategy and Digital Divisions. The successful candidate will provide their customers with MI and associated analysis and insight; ensuring that the processes and numbers are robust, controlled, accurate, reconciled and understood.
This role will play a key part in supporting the delivery of the Group’s long term Cost Management Strategy. You will be responsible for ensuring that your activity is optimised, in a controlled environment, to deliver the critical elements of quality (accuracy), commerciality and timeliness whilst balancing the needs of potentially conflicting stakeholders. Including, but not limited to:
- Supporting key stakeholders in the Divisions in understanding and managing their cost performance including supporting the preparation of forecasts and budgets (including Capex).
- Challenging the business in relation to the accuracy of their forecasts and budgets and of the explanations (to the Board and Committees) of variances. This includes responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the outputs to ensure that the business can rely on the numbers and be confident in delivering against them.
- Tracking of monthly benefits as a result of efficiencies identified in the Divisions.
- Supporting the review of investment appraisals submitted by the Divisions, ensuring that they are robust, accurate and adequately challenged.
- Performing deep dive analyses for any identified future risks to the cost base for the business areas you support, recommending any mitigating actions.
- Validating Resource requests.
- Monitoring the realisation of investment and project benefits in line with approved business cases.
- Supporting the Cost & Investment Manager and others in ad hoc costs analyses and cost control initiatives.
If you are organised, focussed, flexible, enthusiastic and able to work with minimal direction you might be the ideal candidate for this role.
- Excellent analytical and reporting skills.
- Rigorous, methodical and well organised, ensuring that activities are correctly prioritised and that all interested parties are aware of responsibilities, deadlines and progress.
- Proven experience of managing a diverse set of stakeholders whilst having a positive impact.
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Intellectually strong and capable of digesting and interpreting financial information.
- Ability to identify key risks/implications associated with any activities or changes.
- Experience of working in a fast-paced, changing environment demonstrating flexible attitude.
- Experience of working in a in a multi-disciplined, deadline-driven, Finance function.
- Previous experience in project accounting would also be welcomed.
- Financial Services experience would help but is not essential
- Degree educated (to a minimum 2:1)
Not only do we provide the opportunity to make a valuable contribution to our business, we want to recognise and reward that contribution. We do this through an excellent benefits package that offers real reward:
- 27 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Excellent annual bonus scheme
- Money Purchase Pension scheme to which we contribute
- Private Medical Insurance
- Staff Mortgage facility and Staff Savings Account
- Health Cash Plan
- Supportive and enjoyable working culture
Our culture -No matter where you join us, you can be sure of professional, fun and supportive people to work with. We believe this is at the centre of what makes Yorkshire Building Society such a great place to be.
Our vision - our vision is to be the most trusted provider of Financial Services in the UK. We strive to achieve this by delivering financial security and long-term value to our members along with exceptional service.
Our values - our values are embedded into every aspect of life here. Even during our recruitment process, you can rest assured that you’ll be treated in the same manner and go through the same steps as other applicants. And if you’re going through one of our Learning & Development programmes, we’ll ensure that you have support and guidance every step of the way.
Yorkshire Building Society Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer.