Main Purpose of Role
Review and co-ordinate the outputs of all parties with design responsibility to achieve the objectives of the project in accordance with programme and cost imperatives from tender to handover. Responsible for technical compliance on 1-2 projects comprising 20-50 units at any time.
- Process: Carry out duties in compliance with internal process and procedures, including use of trackers, reports, checklists and contribute to their continuous review and improvement
- Pre-construction: Assist in the preparation of project specifications and Contractor’s Proposals at the outset new projects.
- Programme: Assist in establishing the design programme and information release schedule by reference to master construction programme. Manage design team to ensure adherence to same.
- Consultants: Draft scope, and obtain fee proposals for multi-disciplinary consultant teams in accordance with robust responsibility matrix
- Client: Prepare input for monthly client report and attend monthly client meetings. Manage process of obtaining client signoff for design, specification and samples.
- Value: Provide cost-conscious direction and instruction to consultant team. Review emerging design to eliminate waste and achieve economic design solutions which meet client brief and planning requirements. Work closely with Commercial team and alert to any emerging cost issues.
- Buildability: Provide construction-conscious direction and instruction to consultant team. Review emerging design to optimise design minimising complex details and interfaces involving multiple trades. Work closely with Operations team and alert to any emerging buildability issues.
- Co-ordination: Review consultant and contractor design outputs. Co-ordinate outputs of all designers to identify and rectify gaps, clashes and inconsistencies and manage design approvals process. Respond to site queries and manage incoming and outgoing RFIs / TQs.
- Risk: Manage project technical risk register. Flag technical and compliance risks and manage and report on mitigating measures.
- Compliance: Review planning, BCO, NHBC Conditions and other required approvals. Identify critical timeframes and manage the discharge process.
- Handover: Identify client handover requirements. Assemble all documentation and statutory approvals required in time for handover, including BCO, NHBC, Planning. Prepare Resident’s Handbook.
- CDM: Liaise with Principal Designer throughout the design process and in the preparation of the Safety File.
The following skills / experience are minimum requirements:
- Minimum 5 years PQE of which at least 2 years working with residential contractor
- Specific experience through entire project cycle on at least 1 residential apartment project between 4 and 10 storeys in height and between 20 and 50 units.
- Solid understanding of technical detailing and compliance requirements including Building Regulations, NHBC, CfSH, LHDG, BREEAM.
- Good communication skills with a professional, personable demeanour and comfortable dealing with clients and representatives of statutory authorities.
- Able to analyse and distill complex problems and identify viable solutions.
- Ability to work as a team player and assist colleagues across projects and departments as part of a collaborative company culture.
- Willingness to take ownership and personal responsibility for own actions as part of a company culture that values 'lessons learned’ above blame.
- Excellent opportunities for advancement in a medium sized company with a shallow management structure and regular direct contact with the owner-manager
- Opportunity to be part of a fast-moving, growing company with a refreshing entrepreneurial ethos.
- Confirmed pipeline of future work comprising a mix of mainstream residential construction and several interesting listed buildings, cinema and specialist care facilities.
- A genuinely collaborative and non-confrontational working culture, both internally and externally
- Company Pension Scheme and Bonus Structure