CNC Machinist/Technician (IRC244553)
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire
Salary £24,435 - £34,497 (inclusive of annual allowance + O/T + excellent benefits)
Full time/Flexible hours considered
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest science research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and engineering.
STFC holds the Investor in People Gold accreditation and offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance including 30 days’ annual leave, flexible working hours, workplace nursery, government pension scheme, social/sporting activities and societies and good public transport links.
About The Role
We now have an excellent opportunity for a CNC Machinist within our technology department, which provides advanced technology and engineering support to both STFC funded activities and other high profile international projects.
With excellent continual training, learning and development you will have an active input into the development and progression of our manufacturing facility, which is currently being restructured and provided with greater capability to ensure we can provide the highest level of service.
You will be responsible for working with scientific colleagues and engineers to manufacture small batches or one off components from a range of materials. You will be required to understand detailed drawings to produce precision components to high specifications of dimensional accuracy. Further responsibilities will include:
• the competent use of hand tools in addition to a variety of both conventional and CNC machine tools as well as cylindrical and surface grinders
• analysing problems associated with machining intricate components to extreme accuracy and design
• to manufacture specialised tooling in support of the machining of unusual and bespoke parts utilising specialist CAD/CAM software for three and four axis CNC machining
• support the training of apprentices and colleagues in machining and manufacturing techniques.
You will be appointed as either a Technician or Senior Technician depending on the strength of your skills, experience and qualifications.
You should have studied a Certified Mechanical Engineering Apprenticeship /City and Guilds Mechanical Engineering Qualification (or equivalent) or demonstrate equivalent work experience in the sector.
You must demonstrate:
• experience from a workshop/CNC background including manual machining and precision grinding
• experience of engineering drawing specifications together with geometric tolerances
• the ability to think creatively to solve technical manufacturing problems, showing initiative and evaluating alternative courses of action where necessary
• excellent attention to detail with the ability to work effectively and safely with minimal supervision as part of a team
• knowledge and experience of computer systems
• understanding of health and safety regulations and responsibilities
• good communication and interpersonal skills.
To be considered as a Senior Technician you will demonstrate experience of:
• setting, operating and programming CNC machines on at least one of these controllers; Heidenhain, Fanac, Hardinge, HAAS or similar
• machining techniques for precision CAD/CAM manufacture of intricate 3 and 4 axis CNC machined components with experience of using software such as ALPHACAM, One CNC
• geometric tolerances and how they define work patterns on machine tools
• manufacture of high quality multi axis CNC machined hardware, including an appreciation the metrology techniques and associated documentation.
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
Applications are received by UK SBS. Please note, when you click apply you will be directed through to our TopCareers.jobs website where you will be asked to complete the application process.
The closing date for applications is 8th April 2018, however applications will be reviewed and interviewed on an ongoing basis until this vacancy is filled.
- Mechanical Engineering
- CNC Machine
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job