Salary: £18,000- £19,000
Location: Underley Gardens School, Kirby Lonsdale
Hours: Full Time
About the school
Underley Gardens is a School within the Acorn Care and Education and NFA group, the UK’s largest, independent children’s services group. It is categorised as an Ofsted Outstanding School and Residential home, specialising in SEN Education and Care.
The estate cares for children and young adults with a range of complex needs, such as Autism, Mental health problems and behavioural or learning difficulties. The aim of the site is to ensure that every young person’s education and care leads to better days and a better future. This is achievable due to a dedicated and supportive team who are passionate, reliable and understanding.
Underley is situated within a beautiful countryside setting, on the edge of the Lake District, near the town of Kirby Lonsdale.
About the role?
Do you want to start a rewarding Career? To make a positive difference to young people and their lives? Are you patient, empathetic, resilient and supportive? Yes? - We want you!
Don’t worry about having any experience, we will train, support and promote you, to ensure you have an amazing career. Take our Assistant Head Craig, for example, who began his journey at Underley as a maintenance worker.
You will be responsible for safeguarding the young people and making sure they are healthy, safe and as comfortable as possible. Also, you will be required to ensure the physical, emotional and personal care needs of all the young people are met, by referring to agreed care plans. This will enable the young people to retain as much responsibility for their own lives as possible and develop over time.
This role does come with some potential challenges such as long hours, behaviour management and ensuring the personal care of each young person is upheld.
Who we are looking for?
Underley Gardens wants a compassionate, enthusiastic, reliable and resilient individual who has a passion for caring for and ultimately, making a difference to young lives. We need someone who can be a role model, work well within a team, has great communication skills, can manage their workload and be prepared for the varying difficulties the role may present.
A driving licence would also be desirable due to the remote location of the site and limited public transport.
· Safeguard all young people in the estate and support them with their individual needs.
· Support and develop the mental and physical health and wellbeing of individuals within the service
· Help improve the standard of living and confidence of every child and young adult
· Integrate into the supportive team
· Provide support to the young people and assist with everyday activities such as cooking, homework, playing games and going on outings.
· Liaise with parents, teachers and other support workers with the best interests of the young people in mind.
· Enable and support individuals to engage with the education system positively
· You must have a keen interest in supporting and working with young people, in a care environment
· You must be available to work the shifts required
· You must be able to travel to the school with ease
· You must have the ability to work within a 24/7 operation
Why work for us?
· Opportunity to enrich the lives of young people and make a positive difference
· Be part of a supportive and dedicated team
· Continuous professional development and training
· Funded NVQ 3
· Internal Promotion
· Staff meals
· Use of a Windermere campsite
· Team building
· Employee of the month
· Potential overtime
There will also be an opportunity for selected candidates to have an informal visit to the estate before a face to face interview. This will allow you to speak to some of the staff and have a tour of the estate to see whether it will be a good fit for you. If you have any questions about the role and want to have an informal conversation please contact Elaine Wilcock on
Acorn Care and Education are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All successful applicants will be subject to fully Enhanced DBS. We expect all our employees and volunteers to share this commitment and strive to achieve the best possible outcomes for everybody in our care. A full application form must be completed with all employment dates accurate and gaps in employment accounted for.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job