Balfour Beatty has a Bid Management opportunity within our Regional South Business Unit. The successful candidate would have the option to either our Langley (near Slough) or Basingstoke Offices and will work on build and defence projects within this region.
Responsible for construction bidding and pre-construction activities within the South Business Unit, the role offers an exciting opportunity to grow your career and lead bid teams in the pursuit of a diverse range of projects across the Region.
The role would be well suited to an existing bid manager in a construction business. However, we would also welcome applicants from established operational, engineering, technical and commercial backgrounds in the construction sector who are looking for a new challenge and who thrive on successfully leading teams to deliver positive results.
What You’ll Be Doing:
As a Bid Manager you will:
- Lead, manage and co-ordinate all aspects of tenders (and sometimes PQQs) ensuring that high quality, compelling proposals are delivered to the customer
- Formulate and agree the bid strategy with senior management to secure profitable orders
- Form relationships with the customers or their representatives to develop a clear understanding of their requirements
- Develop bid management plans
- Develop and monitor a bid programme for every opportunity
- Facilitate strategy workshops and sessions
- Develop Value Propositions and key bid themes and messages
- Input into decisions on major supply chain partners
- Liaise with supply chain members to formulate aspects of the bid offer
- Provide written technical, legal and commercial contributions to bids as required
- Chair and record proceedings of meetings - ensuring actions are allocated and closed out
- Input on consultant selection and scopes of services
- Carry out customer intelligence gathering
- Develop technological solutions for the bid via BIM and submissions technology
- Have full knowledge of the tender requirements ensuring the delivery of compliant solutions for our customers
- Be aware of company best practice and innovation within bids across the business stream
- Liaise with co-sponsors and internal bid steering committees for large and multiple bids, including preparation of Gate papers
- Lead the presentation of Tender Settlement meetings for large and multiple bids and obtain approvals
- Lead the Sales to Delivery handover of secured business
Personal Qualities and Experience
We are looking for someone who is passionate about winning work and who is committed to being the best in the industry. Previous experience of either managing bids or playing a technical role within work winning teams in the civil engineering industry is highly desirable.
Understanding and experience of the principles of current forms of procurement is required. Membership of a relevant professional body, such as APMP/RICS/CIOB would be great - but it is not essential. A valid CSCS card will be required but we can help you with that if you don’t already have one.
Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with team members and partners under time pressure.
The ability to identify angles and potential opportunities in tender strategies will be valued.
Solid IT, maths and writing abilities are fundamental requirements.