At Gist Limited we are constantly raising the standard in everything we do to achieve our vision of being the customer's first choice for logistics innovation, excellence and partnership.
We recognise that the key to our success is our people. For us to deliver the best service to our customers, maintain a strong reputation and continue to grow we need to recruit and develop the right people.
What's the opportunity?
As a Transport Team Manager at Gist you will be running an operational section of our business, overseeing the vast activity to ensure that we are meeting our customers' needs and pushing to exceed them at all times.
This position covers night shifts at our new 80,000ft2 Primary site in Motherwell, as part of a Transport Management team that look after over 150 drivers and a fleet of over 100 vehicles. Shifts operate on a 4-on 4-off pattern on 12 hour night shifts.
You will be dedicated to ensuring the workforce is engaged, well managed and perform to the highest standards against their business set key performance indicators. You will act as an advocate of the Gist culture, values and safety standards. You'll also hold regular briefings and meetings with your team, providing them with a platform to suggest their own ideas to improve overall service standards to customers.
- Having a clear operational plan - always bearing in mind the bigger picture and the end customer whose standards and expectations we need to meet.
- Understanding the wider business objectives and in line with this, looking for ways in which to reduce cost, improve service etc.
- Fleet management, maintenance and associated administration.
- Investigating any service or operational failures to ensure they are understood and prevented in future.
- Leading the way in terms of best practise regarding safety and ensuring your team understand the importance of being safe in the workplace at all times.
- Quickly and efficiently record and report any safety incidents that may arise.
- Ensuring that all members of the operational team have clear goals and objectives.
- Alongside site HR, addressing issues such as disciplinaries, grievances, absences, etc.
- Communicating at all times - holding regular organised meetings, as well as ad hoc catch ups, with your teams to help them understand their key priorities.
- Assisting in the recruitment of new team members in line with the Gist values and behaviours.
- Evaluate the performance of both Gist permanent employees and agency staff and provide constructive and clear feedback to aid in personal & professional development
What will you need to succeed?
- Excellent management style - encouraging, inspiring and enabling the team around you to be the very best they can be.
- An innovative approach to leadership - being creative and implementing new ways to improve performance.
- The ability to identify and evaluate potential risks and develop solutions.
- A good understanding of reporting and recording performance statistics.
- Having a good understanding of computer and transport management systems.
- Excellent relationship building skills.
- A familiarity with working in a unionised environment.
- The desire to fully embrace being part of a wider team - happy to lend a hand to others where needed.
- We operate as a 24/7 business, so you will need to be flexible with your working hours to meet operational demand
- A background in planning would be advantageous
Where will Gist take you?
We are always focused on developing our people to enable them to reach their full potential. If you have the drive, aspiration and flexibility required, we can offer excellent development opportunities to ensure you build a successful and rewarding career with Gist.
We offer an attractive benefits package, which includes a competitive basic salary, pension, healthcare, 25 days annual leave and an industry leading bonus scheme.
Gist is an award-winning supply chain specialist that combines an integrated network of people, experience and expertise to transform supply chains. With industry-specific understanding and excellence, Gist's solutions bring end-to-end visibility and implementation, from concept to delivery.
Operating in a wide range of commercial and industrial sectors, including grocery, food service and gas, Gist works in partnership with customers such as Starbucks, EAT, Marks and Spencer, Tesco, Morrisons and 2 Sisters Food Group.