Senior User Experience UX Manager
AstraZeneca (AZ) is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases.
Digital products and services are becoming increasingly important for AZ, whether these are aimed at patients (e.g. an asthma inhaler connected to a mobile app to remind patients to take their medicines), doctors or colleagues (e.g. a web tool for scientists to visualise real-time data coming from a clinical trial). To address this, ~2 years ago, we created the User Experience Competency Centre (UXCC), a global IT function which promotes User-Centred Design (UCD) across AZ to ensure that these products are both usable and desirable.
The UXCC is currently made up of 9 experts in UX Research, UX Design and UI/ Visual Design, across the UK (Cambridge, Macclesfield), US (Wilmington, DE) and China (Shanghai). We’re a small, empowered team which will be growing through 2018, and we offer great future career opportunities.
Location: Cambridge, UK (with some national and international travel).
The Senior UX Manager is one of a handful of global roles responsible for leading UX projects across AZ, researching what users want/need from digital products & services and using the insights to design those products to be easy and delightful to use. The role is a balance of (a) evangelising UX/ UCD to develop new projects for the team, (b) managing these projects and the people working on them, and (c) some hands-on research and high-level design.
You will act as both a ‘guru’ and an ‘evangelist’ for UCD across different areas of the AZ business (both internal colleague-facing and external doctor/ patient-facing). You will identify those projects where, in practice, UX can make a measurable difference to product quality. You will influence project owners to adopt UX research and design into their plans, and ‘sell’ the services of the UXCC to help them.
Having developed the project opportunity, you will oversee part or all of a full UCD process, finding and managing UX experts – either from within the UXCC itself, or from outside – to run research and design activities. Your expertise should cover the full range of user research techniques, from early user requirements gathering (e.g. interviews, surveys), to iterative usability testing, to later field trials, etc. On the design side, you should be confident in creating high-level information architecture (IA), flows and wireframes, interactive prototypes, etc.
As projects complete, you will also compile the UX activities and results into compelling case studies, which you and the wider team can use to further ‘sell’ UCD.
Although the role is largely supervisory/ managerial, you will also be required to perform hands-on research (e.g. moderating usability testing) and design (e.g. creating IAs) activities.
On day 1, you will not have any formal line management responsibilities over other UXCC staff, but it is likely that you will take on the line management of more junior UX staff quite soon, so you should have the requisite people-management skills and experiences.
- Degree-level qualification (preferably postgraduate) in Ergonomics, Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, or a related relevant field
- Advanced understanding of UX principles, both from academic learning and on-the-job experience
- Significant experience (5+ years) as a UX Researcher and/or Designer in an industrial (not just academic) environment – working either in or for large, client-side companies
- Experience across the full range of UX research techniques including Usability testing (both lab-based and remote); contextual/ observational research; interviews and focus groups; online questionnaires; field trials
- Experience with UX Design tools (e.g. Visio, Balsamiq, OmniGraffle) and interactive prototyping tools (e.g. Axure, InVision, Proto.io)
- Experience working across digital channels, including fixed-web, tablet and mobile apps
- A portfolio of case studies where good UX has made a measurable difference to the quality of digital products and services
- Experience working with pharmaceutical/ medical products and services would be nice to have, but is not required
Requirements (Soft Skills)
- A self-starter, with the energy and pro-activity to seek out new opportunities for the UXCC, without hand-holding
- Great influencing skills, including the ability to evangelise UCD across a large, global organisation, including to senior stakeholders
- An excellent presenter, succinctly imparting UX designs, with appropriate rationale, in both written and spoken formats, and in plain, non-technical, language
- A team player, able to collaborate closely with Product Managers, other UX Researchers and Designers, Business Analysts, Technical Developers, etc.
- Able to successfully prioritise projects according to their impact to the business and juggle the competing demands of multiple concurrent projects
- Experience working in a large, ideally Global, organisation; experience managing large, complex UCD projects, including project and resource planning.
- Experience managing more junior UX specialists – ideally in a direct line-management capacity, but at least in a less formal project capacity.
- Experience in training and coaching UX, to internal UX team members and/or other roles
- An active member of the UX community, with an interest in sharing and keeping up with the state-of-the-art in design and research techniques
Apply now to learn more about this exciting opportunity with a world renowned pharmaceutical brand!
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"