Managed today by a close team, the gardeners and property staff pride themselves on the cheerful and friendly welcome which can be found at Glendurgan, making it not only a great place to visit, but also a great place to work. Along with Trelissick and Trerice, Glendurgan and Bosloe Gardens are part of the Heart of Cornwall Portfolio, managed by the Head Gardener. You’ll join a skilled team of gardeners and will at times need to work at other sites across the portfolio.
Salary is £23,375 - £24,121 depending on experience.
What it's like to work here
Glendurgan was created by Alfred and Sarah Fox as a 'small peace of heaven on earth'. This playful, exotic garden has many stories to tell and secrets to discover for all visitors, whether they’re exploring the maze or enjoying the seasonal delights of the three valleys of Glendurgan Garden - full of fun, informality, natural beauty and amazing plants.
Luxurious foliage, statuesque trees and swathes of wildflowers mingle to create a garden that is both peaceful and playful, with secluded areas for quite contemplation as well as glorious vistas and glimpses of the open sea.
Leading out to Falmouth Bay, the Helford River is a place of shelter, varied views and grand houses. Where fishing and farming shaped the landscape it’s evolved as a backdrop for leisure and a rich habitat for wildlife. Wooded valleys, secluded beaches and coastal footpaths give vantage points for far-reaching views up-river and out to sea.
Positioned on a hillside above the valleys of Glendurgan Garden, Bosloe House is the National Trust’s flagship holiday property in Cornwall. Formal terraces and lawns around the house lead to footpaths surrounded by profusions of spring flowers, meandering down to open countryside and beaches below.What you'll be doing
We’re proud of the team we have here at Glendurgan and the diverse skills and experience we share. Each of us have our own personal areas of interest, yet we’re united by our passion for this special place. Creative and enthusiastic, you’ll become an integral part of this team, adding your own unique input into the continued development of the garden.
You’ll love working outdoors and understand that our gardens and grounds are as significant as our mansion houses, collections and our historical places. Our visitors tell us how much they enjoy the peace and tranquillity of our well-kept outdoor spaces, which makes your role vital in making sure our visitors have an amazing experience.
We don’t just need you to manage our beautiful gardens, although this is an important part of the role, we’d like you to help manage the team too; you'll be leading 3 Gardeners, a Seasonal Gardener and a group of volunteers. As the Senior Gardener in our team, we’d like you to lead by example, with exceptional gardening skills, but you’ll also understand how to manage the workload for this team, and deliver brilliant training to new staff and volunteers.
This role requires some weekend and bank holiday working on a rota basis.Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role you should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Significant practical experience in horticulture supported by relevant qualifications
- Have supervisory experience from a similar role
- Excellent knowledge of plants
- Competent with the use and maintenance of garden machinery including chainsaws, tractors, hedge trimmers, pedestrian and ride on mowers
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety legislation and practice
Salary is £23,375 - £24,121 depending on experience
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking
- Health Safety