If you want a career in Gardening, we can offer you some of the most beautiful outdoor spaces in the UK to work in as well as one of the largest plant collections in Europe.
Please be advised you'll be required to work weekends in this role on a rota basis.
What it's like to work here
Peckover House is a secret gem, an oasis hidden away in an urban environment. A classic Georgian merchant’s town house, it was lived in by the Peckover family for 150 years. The Peckovers were Quakers, which meant they had a very simple lifestyle - yet at the same time they ran a successful private bank. Both facets of their life can be seen as visitors wander through the house and gardens.
At 2 acres, Peckover’s garden is a sensory delight, complete with summer-house, orangery, rose-garden and croquet lawn. The garden is celebrated as one of the most important town gardens surviving from the Victorian Period.
What you'll be doing
You’ll love working outdoors and understand that our gardens and grounds are as significant as our mansion houses, collections and our historical places. Our visitors tell us how much they enjoy the peace and tranquillity of our well-kept outdoor spaces, meaning your role is vital in making sure our visitors have an amazing experience. As our Senior Gardener, you’ll assist with the property events programme to continue to improve our already amazing visitor experience.
You’ll be reporting to our Property Operations Manager, and will manage our 2 gardeners, as well as a team of 30 volunteers and garden tour leaders. As the Senior Gardener, we want you to lead by example; you’ll not only have exceptional gardening skills but you’ll also understand how to manage the workload of a team and help to deliver exceptional training to new staff and volunteers.
You’ll also be working alongside the Estate Manager; aiding the delivery of the Estate Management Plan and also help look after our 50 acre estate. Although the majority of the estate is tenanted, it’s important to maintain good relationships with our tenants to ensure tasks are completed to a high standard.
You’ll also take part in our on call rota to help provide property emergency cover during the working day and overnight - this will mean you’ll need to be available to attend an incident at the property within 20 minutes. Please be advised that you'll also be required to work weekends on a rota basis.
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role you should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Significant practical experience in horticulture supported by relevant qualifications
- Have supervisory experience from a similar role
- Excellent knowledge of plants
- Competent with the use and maintenance of garden machinery including chainsaws, tractors, hedge trimmers, pedestrian and ride on mowers
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety legislation and practice
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking