Please see below a general outline of the responsibilities that are usually included within the caretaker/ handyman role.
Some schools may need caretakers to work spilt shifts (so unsociable hours, can be opening early in the morning then closing in the evening) other schools have caretakers who work a whole day so general maintenance throughout a day. This will all depend on the hours that you are looking for and what suits the needs of the school.
* Opening and closing, unlocking and locking of school gates and buildings
* Monitoring and administering CCTV system
* Unset ting and setting of school alarm system
* Checking and securing the school premises
* Key Holder and be the first point of contact in an emergency callout situation
* Overall security of the school premises including the locking of all windows and doors and the drawing of window blinds
* Dealing with minor repairs- blockages, leaks, removing foreign objects from sinks, toilets and drains
* Liaising with plumbers, electricians etc- temporarily handle/ control emergency situations e.g (leaks)
* General maintenance
* Ensuring the school grounds are clear
* Litter picking
* Clean light fittings and testing systems, replacing necessary minor parts such a bulb
* Maintaining school grounds- ensure that gullies, drains etc. are kept free from debris and that the college and grounds are litter free.
* To be responsible for ensuring clear and safe pedestrian schools particularly in adverse weather conditions (e.g. clearing snow, gritting etc.)
* To dispose of waste materials in a safe, hygienic manner ensuring that it is available for collection as required
* To undertake porterage tasks as required including setting up and clearing away furniture
* To undertake handypersons duties:
* Painting and Decorating
* Fixtures and fittings, examples: tightening screws on window hinges, maintenance on door handles, minor repairs
* To control the provision and replenish toiletry items, including requisition, storage and distribution of such items.
* To monitor stock levels of consumable items such as fuel, grit, toiletries, light, bulbs/tubes and arrange to replenish supplies in accordance with current procedures
* To report emergencies in the case of faults with gas, electric and water supply to the Business Manager/ Principal, or where not immediately available technical services or regular contractors, and report minor faults on site to the Business Manager
Please email your CV to Abi at:
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job