The principle function of this position is to ensure the Group’s Quality, Health, Safety and Environmental policies are implemented consistently across the company. To develop, implement and monitor WJ’s Integrated Management System (IMS) in particular to reviewing all Quality, Health, Safety and Environmental related strategies, policies and procedures, risk assessments and safe working practices throughout the WJ Group of companies in accordance with International and local Quality, Health, Safety & Environmental Legislation and standards. To work proactively with Directors and Managers to establish and maintain efficient & safe systems of work and a safe environment.
Reports / Responsible to
Contracts Manager (Line Manager)
Key areas of responsibility WJ UK
- To develop, maintain Integrated Management System (IMS) in particular to reviewing all Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality (SHEQ) related strategies, policies and procedures, risk assessments and safe working practices throughout WJ Groundwater Ltd in accordance with relevant legislations and standards a
- Inspire, motivate and advise company personnel, contractors and suppliers on SHEQ matters.
- Provide support and guidance on SHEQ matters throughout the business.
- Ensure that an audit and mentoring regime is devised, implemented and effectively provides the focus for verification of SHEQ policies, processes and procedures within the business including audits of suppliers are performed and are satisfactory.
- Conduct Internal Audits, assessments and inspections to verify effective implementation and conformance to legislation, standards and IMS with its policies, processes and procedures.
- Carry out training and mentoring of staff and contractors to ensure they are capable and competent to undertake the tasks allocated to them.
- Maintain the company’s ISO9001, ISO14001, OHSAS18001, Achilles UVDB & Building Confidence & Constructionline certifications in accordance with our IMS policies, processes and procedures.
- Promoting and raising awareness, at all levels of an organization, of the impact of SHEQ issues, whether legislative or best practice are briefed to the business and any requirements implemented
- Monitoring, measurement and recording of SHEQ objectives and KPI’s ensuring this information is cascaded down throughout the organization in a timely manner.
- Compile monthly SHEQ reports to Directors, Senior and Middle Managers and execute assigned actions in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance to applicable legal and other statutory requirements.
- Ensure that any safety or Environmental accidents, incidents or near misses are reported immediately to the Directors and Senior Management Team and that investigations are carried out to identify the root causes and promote the lessons learned throughout the organization.
- Managing client feedback processes including the client survey, client commendations and client complaints
- Influence at all levels and develop relationships to develop a positive SHEQ culture within the business
- To ensure the company’s Health, Safety & Environmental policies are implemented consistently across the WJ Group of companies.
- Reporting to the Main & Executive Boards on the overall SHEQ performance activities
- Promoting and raising awareness, at all levels of an organization, of the impact of SHEQ issues, whether legislative or best practice, on corporate, ethical and social responsibility;
- To provide accurate and clear interpretation of SHEQ legislation and standards, for all WJ Group territories.
- Provide directives and best practice to the organization, ensuring changes to legislation, codes of practice, regulations, policies and procedures etc. are identified, communicated and implemented in an affective and timely manner.
- Produce and distribute the Group SHEQ Newsletter & Safety Alerts
To be responsible for own health and safety and that of colleagues, in accordance with current construction guidance and relevant national legislation. To undertake such other duties as may be reasonably expected. The board of WJ Groundwater Limited is committed to the implementation and certification of an Integrated Management System to ISO9001, ISO14001, and OHSAS18001 across all of its territories
Qualifications & Experience
- A relevant professional qualification e.g. NEBOSH Diploma, NVQ level 5 Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety Practice
- WAMITAB Level 3 in Waste and Resource Management - Land Remediation Activities desirable but not essential.
- ISO 9001, ISO14001 & OHSAS 18001 Auditor experience is desirable but not essential.
- Proven experience leading SHEQ at senior level and the ability to influence is key
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills and the ability to challenge constructively.
- Good technical and engineering understanding
- Effective team working and networking skills and the ability to work independently using own initiative.
- The ability to plan, prioritize and organize own workload.
- Extensive knowledge of effective SHEQ management strategies and best practice.
- Detailed knowledge of current SHEQ legislation and other requirements and their application in the workplace.
- Flexibility to travel throughout the UK, and the world, for extended periods at short notice.
- Full UK Driving License
The role is predominately head office based at our UK head office, but you will be expected to visit our other offices works sites in the UK Mainland Europe and Globally as required. Your job role will be split approximately 85% UK/15% overseas though your physical time will predominantly be spent in the UK.
- Management System