Registered Mental Health Nurse (RMN)
Gatwick Immigration Removal Centre, West Sussex
Full Time – 40 hours
£27,405 per annum - 2 years or less post qualification experience
£32,480 per annum - 2 years or plus post qualification experience
Do you want an exciting, fast passed diverse place to work? If that is what you are looking for come to Gatwick IRC’s! You will never complain of being bored as no day is the same and every day you will learn something new. Gatwick PDA and Borders is the only facility in the UK which makes us unique. If you are looking for a new job or to further your career apply now before it is too late!
Gatwick IRC’s Gatwick PDA and Borders is over two sites. IRC is an Immigration Removal Centre located on the outskirts of Gatwick Airport. Brook House IRC holds up to 486 men over the age of 18, in shared rooms over 4 wings and Eden Wing. Tinsley House IRC holds up to 162 men over the age of 18, in shared rooms over two floors. Gatwick PDA and Borders is located inside Tinsley but kept separate from the men. Gatwick PDA hold up to two pre planned families. Border families can arrive without pre warning, holds up to one family. Tinsley IRC was recently refurbished in 2016/17 and Gatwick PDA and Borders is immaculate with well-kept outside gardens and play facilities for children.
At Gatwick we provide primary care in a range of clinics, which include but is not limited to Dressings / Venepuncture/ Nurse Triage / Smoking Cessation / Chronic Disease clinics / Sleep Hygiene Techniques. We run drop in clinics every day and also have a booking appointment system. We have doctors attend site each day and on call facilities if needed. We have a visiting psychiatrist once a week, dentist fortnightly and optician monthly. We do not have any inpatient beds, therefore patients who need emergency care will be sent out to hospital or transferred to a centre that has those facilities. The needs of the men range from Physical / Social Care to Mental Health conditions. Gatwick IRC’s also has a dedicated Forward Team (Drug Alcohol Recovery) who mainly work at Brook House and visit Tinsley once a week. We also administer medication up to 4 times a day at both sites; at Brook House only this includes Controlled Drugs (CD’s) and Opiate Substitution Treatment (OST).
We are a team with experience in a variety of specialities from General, Learning Disabilities, Mental Health & Pharmacy Technician. Our dedicated team encourage nurses to develop and improve specific specialist roles e.g. Diabetes / Health promotion / Blood Pressure
At Gatwick IRC we are close to the M25 for easy access. We have a free staff car park at both sites and free canteen lunch at Tinsley.
To provide effective patient centred care by performing individual mental health assessments of needs, developing, implementing and evaluating programmes of care that meet the needs of the patient. This role is multidimensional and requires the post holder to integrate and fulfil all the identified dimensions.
- Maintain a safe working environment for patients, staff and visitors.
- Maintain a professional profile and develop skills, knowledge and competencies adhering to the NMC Code of
- Professional Conduct and local Policies and Procedures.
- 100% compliance to all infection control policies and initiatives.
- Provide and promote mental health education and advise on healthy lifestyle choices and the prevention of mental ill health.
- Participate and contribute to teaching and supporting new or junior staff.
- Apply relevant legislation to local practice, i.e. medicines management, patient group directions.
- Maintain accurate, legible and timely medical records
- Provide an initial health screening of all new arrivals to the Centre within the timeframes governed by Detention
- Centre Rules, ensuring due attention to key factors such as mental health issues, suicide or self harm risk, allegations of torture, infectious disease, as well as general physical health.
- Develop appropriate Care Plans for those with chronic diseases and facilitate review with medical team as necessary, according to local policies.
- Due to the transient nature of the detained population, ensure continuity of care ( as far as this is reasonably practical) by obtaining previous medical records from community GPs and liaising with the Immigration Authorities to facilitate detainees’ attendance at p[re-existing secondary care appointments.
- Inform and counsel patients regarding matters pertaining to their mental health. This may include advising on
- Medication, stress management, coping skills, growth, development and ageing; aiming to promote understanding of long term management of ill health, thereby ensuring compliance to NSF Guidelines.
- Support and refer the mental health needs of those detained people who may have experienced traumatic past life events or that may be at risk of self-harm.
- Assist in the administrative processes that are necessary to ensure the smooth running of the Healthcare Centre, to enable it to meet the standards expected.
- Perform audit, research and analysis tasks associated with good clinical practice.
- Be familiar with the security constraints, Rules and Regulations appertaining to secure environments.
The Ideal Candidate:ssential Skills:
- Part 1 NMC registration
- Experience of working within a team
- Able to demonstrate a high level of literacy and numeracy
- Able to provide examples of diversity in practice
- Able to work within challenging and complex situations
- Experience of working with potentially aggressive people
- Evidence of ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships at all levels
- Evidence of further development of own clinical practice
- Experience of working within a secure environment
- Degree level qualification or above
- Experience of involvement in innovation or change
- Hold a Nurse Prescriber qualification
- Hold a Nurse Practitioner qualification
- Evidence of working within a ‘value for money’ service
- Driving Licence.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job