Retirement living has the power to transform older people’s lives, which is exactly what we do here at McCarthy & Stone. Our award-winning products can beat loneliness, promote independence and encourage vibrant communities to grow.
Our mission is simple: to help our customers achieve retirement living to the full. We achieve this by employing talented and ambitious people who share our values and high standards. Our philosophy attracts the very best applicants; whist our culture, stimulating work, progression opportunities, employee recognition schemes and nurturing approach - helps us retain them.
About the Role
As Surveyor, you will be responsible for the financial control of contracts from inception to completion in accordance with Company policies. This includes monitoring costs against the approved construction budget, sending out enquires, making payments and agreeing final accounts.
To provide a professional Surveying & Cost Management service
- Support the delivery of key business performance targets and of team Service Level Agreements to Regions, in order to meet wider company business objectives.
- Responsible for achieving accurate financial control of individual sites in accordance with Company policies, with particular reference to:
- Monthly variations on all contracts
- Calculation of subcontractor liabilities
- Analysis of development costs, comprising labour, materials, plant supervision and other overheads
- Create and provide strong commercial influence on wider project teams to drive a consistent commercial approach within the region
- Accurate Estimate of Final Costs
- Responsible for collation, detailed review and completion of CBR reports to Commercial Manager/Director to Group programmes. To manage detailed discussions with key personnel (Construction / Development) to support the CBR review
- Support the Company culture and values and the delivery of high levels of business performance and customer satisfaction
Tendering and Budget creation
- Create Tender lists & obtain agreement from all relevant parties
- Send tenders out in accordance with programme requirements and ensure Group procedures are fully adhered to
- Carry out a detailed and accurate tender comparison to allow decisions to be made as to which contractor produces maximum value to the development
- Ensure budget accuracy through effective Tender negotiation.
- Create accurate Construction Budgets at the beginning of projects to enable Build Start And to ensure budgets are produced with a strict adherence to McCarthy and Stone coding procedures
- Offer detailed feedback to the estimating teams on cost performance to support the maintenance and accuracy of regional cost library data
- Spend significant time on sites (target of one day a week exc CBR week): reviewing costs, programme performance and resource implications with site teams and generally develop a detailed understanding of the development to include subcontract commercial management where applicable
- Contribute structured inputs and outputs to site meetings to ensure costs are under control, and risks are both identified and mitigated where possible.
- Apply consistent consideration to the identification and proposal of any value engineering opportunities for discussion with project and senior management team
- Actively challenge on cost and variation, analysing quantities i.e. lengths/depths, volumes etc. and not just accept charges for work carried out on variations.
Previous experience in a surveying field, preferably in the construction of apartments is essential for the role. Good negotiation skills, a sound knowledge of Health and Safety legislation are also required and you will also be educated to HND level, ideally holding a related professional qualification. A high level of computer literacy is essential.
Knowledge & Experience
- Extensive relevant experience of Surveying role
- Knowledgeable on standard industry trade and build specification.
- Team leading experience preferred.
- Be completely familiar with and maintain an up to date knowledge of all National and Regional materials / purchasing agreements.
- Knowledge and experience of contract conditions desirable. Must undertake training as a minimum.
Skills, Competencies and Personal Attributes
- A working knowledge of Information Technology commensurate with fulfilling the requirements of the role, including use of Microsoft Office suite.
- Able to organise and prioritise workload and to adapt to tight deadlines
- Excellent relationship management skills: resilient, calm under pressure including during interaction with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong problem solving capability
- Influence and manage people in a matrix environment who are not direct line reports.
- Credible professional and managerial presence.
- Able to work closely in line with agreed standards and processes
- Ability to facilitate meetings effectively
- Construction Industry
- Quantity Surveying
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'