Like the idea of tax free living in SE Asia?
Time to enjoy a better work/life balance?
Looking for a package that is attractive to a teaching family?
Having assisted with the staffing on this government English language educational project for over ten years, Academics International is again calling for interested western trained Early Years/Primary and Secondary teachers to work in Brunei, SE Asia. Interviews are currently underway for candidates available to start in late March (26th) 2018.
As an English language specialist you will be delivering a British based curriculum to local primary (ages 4 to 7) or secondary (ages 12 to 18) pupils depending on your qualifications/experience. Following the bilingual program in place, pupils will come for English language lessons when not being taught the Bruneian national curriculum by local teachers.
You will be on a contract till December 2019 with a renewable option available. Brunei government schools follow a southern hemisphere academic year (early January to November, four terms). Salaries are between £27,000/£43,000 ($38,000/$61,00USD) per annum tax free. Salaries are based on years of experience and level of qualification one holds.
March 2018 starts also available for coaches to work with local Bruneian teachers across specialist Literacy and Numeracy projects . Suit those teachers or managers experienced across staff training looking for a teach/mentor balance. Contracts for coaching roles are to the end of June 2019.
Your package also includes the following
- Furnished accommodation and or accommodation allowance
- Subsidised private health care (free government health care for children under 12 and pregnant women)
- Heavily subsidised private education for up to two children (three children for a teaching couple)
- Car allowance
- Return flight and baggage allowance (also for a married spouse and 2 children for those travelling with family members)
- 500BN settling in allowance
- In country orientation (includes Malay language training)
- Work visa
- End of contract gratuity/bonus (2 months per year worked paid at the end of the contract)
1. Hold a western passport and have English as your first spoken language (visa requirements)
2. Hold a teaching qualification in the form of a B.Ed/Dip Ed/Dip Teaching/PGCE from either the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Canada and South Africa. Ideally you will be a qualified English, Linguistics or Humanities/Social Studies teacher (Secondary trained only) but other subject areas will be considered if you have a background delivering ESL/EAL. Note/ Primary candidates holding a Diploma/PGCE qualification must also have completed their probationary period in their home country or hold British Qualified Teaching Status.
3. Have 12 months experience teaching in an ESL environment. (Holding a TESOL, TEFL or CELTA qualification is preferable but not essential)
4. A minimum of three years full time classroom teaching experience (must be post qualified experience).
5. Must be under 55 years (secondary) of age at the time you start your placement (Employer visa requirement).
Located in SE Asia, Brunei is a country located on the island of Borneo. It is a prosperous oil and gas producing country with a sub-tropical climate (average annual temperature - 27 degrees Celsius) offering a tax free lifestyle.
If you meet the above criteria then please provide an updated CV with recent photo to Michael Smith on the details below or simply click "Apply". Email.
- Brunei or "Far East" or "SE Asia"