Portfolio Claims Underwriter
About the Casualty & Specialty Portfolio Claims team
The role sits within the Casualty & Specialty Portfolio Claims team and is part of the wider Claims function who are based in London, Colchester, York and Glasgow. You will be working with colleagues in these locations on a daily basis. The team are open and collaborative, highly customer focused and dedicated individuals, who all strive to deliver the very best service and go the extra mile. The claims service is at the heart of the business.
This role will give you the opportunity to handle a mixed claims portfolio of liability, professional indemnity, technology, media and contingency claims. You will be helping policyholders when things have gone wrong for them in their business, during what can be a stressful experience, trying to relieve them of that stress and resolve the problem for them so they can get on with their business. This job is always varied and never becomes routine or dull - you don't know what each day will bring as new claims arise every day.
What you'll be doing as a Casualty & Specialty Portfolio Claims Underwriter:
- Proactively handling claims brought against our policyholders. This involves first determining policy coverage and then setting a strategy and reserves to resolve the claim.
- You will work closely with our policyholders and their insurance brokers so need to have an interest and understanding of what they do. Many of our policyholders come to us direct, with no broker involved, which means you have to explain how the insurance policy works and how the claim will be resolved in simple and everyday language.
- Given the technical nature of the claims you will on occasions need to instruct solicitors, barristers, loss adjustors and other experts to assist in resolving the claims. This can involve debating the issues and challenging the advice as you remain in overall control of the strategy.
- At all times, the policyholder, and broker where appropriate, must be kept informed both verbally and in writing of the status of the claim and the timeline for resolution. You therefore need to have strong oral and written communication skills
- Outside of pure claims handling you will be expected to assist in the continuous improvement of our Casualty & Specialty Portfolio operation in line with our Claims 2020 strategy - by identifying areas of opportunity and helping create solutions.
Our must haves
A graduate (preferably but not necessarily a law degree and/or LPC)
- Able to use own initiative;
- Confident in taking decisions and managing responsibility and priorities within their levels of authority;
- Excellent communication and people skills;
- A confident individual with drive, ambition and a willingness to learn.
- Ability to identify opportunities to improve service or processes
Our nice to haves
- Experience of handling professional indemnity or liability claims whether in private practice or at an insurance company
- Knowledge of the litigation process and a good technical understanding of the CPR
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to enter or progress in the insurance industry. The successful candidate will handle a wide range of claims whilst improving their business knowledge and negotiation skills. They will enhance their technical ability with the support and guidance that a highly qualified and experienced claims team can provide. The role also provides the opportunity to develop an expertise in specific product areas, monitor trends and external influences such as new law, regulations and other external influences.