Internationally renowned for clinical excellence, The Portland Hospital is the only independent hospital in London and the UK entirely dedicated to women and children. Our inpatient and outpatient specialties reflect this providing clinical expertise in Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Women`s Health.
The Paediatric department has been consistently growing over the past few years, almost doubling since 2008. We have 45 inpatient beds + 11 day case and are equipped with the latest technology to provide advanced medical and surgical care, including a Paediatric Intensive Care Unit which reflects the acuity of the children who are admitted to our hospital.
The Neurological Rehabilitation Unit currently comprises of 9 beds of which approximately 50% of patients require 1:1 care 24 hours per day. The ward has grown from being just 5 beds 18 months ago. The ratios on the rest of the ward are 4:1 Patients: Nurses during the day and 3:1 overnight.
As the Neuro Rehab Staff Nurse, you will be responsible and accountable for the assessment of required care needs and the development, implementation and evaluation of holistic care for children on the Neurological-Rehabilitation ward.
You will be working to promote a progressive attitude to the continual improvement of patient care through research, evidence based practice and the developmental of additional clinical skills in the speciality.
It will also be your responsibility to assist in the safe, effective and efficient management of the department with allocated resources.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure that each child is assessed and that their care is planned, implemented and evaluated in negotiation with the patient's family, and that this is accurately documented
- Provide care with a developing clinical understanding of the therapies and drugs used within paediatrics and be competent in their administration
- Understands the correct use and assembly of required equipment, understand safety precautions and ensure appropriate cleaning of equipment
- To be competent in the administration of medication, including intravenous route
- Maintaining and monitoring levels of stock to ensure there are adequate levels of supplies
- To ensure clinical practice is evidence based or peer reviewed
- Develop defined skills in communicating complex and sensitive information effectively to patients, carers and other staff, overcoming any barriers to understanding and providing support during distressing or emotional events and seeking advice or guidance where necessary
- To develop open and trusting relationships with other members of the multidisciplinary team, other departments and community services as necessary
- To act as a role model for nursing and ensure quality care is given
- Under the supervision of the Sister/Charge Nurse assists in ensuring the safety of the ward and the risk management process by actively participating in clinical risk and quality issues, including the reporting and management of clinical incidents
- To maintain confidentiality surrounding childrens admissions and treatment at all times
- To promote the corporate image of The Portland Hospital to all individuals, groups and organisations
- both within the organisation and to the community at large
- To ensure that all patient care is documented, all the relevant documentation is completed accurately
- within agreed timescales using approved HCA International documentation, in line with NMC, CQC and local standards
Skills & Experience
- Experience working as a Children's Nurse
- NMC Child Registered with a valid RN1/RNA and/or RN8/RNC (or equivalent)
- Basic/Intermediate Paediatric Life Support
- Understanding of Safeguarding issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Competent with computers and able to use clinical systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent clinical governance and experience with audits
- Ability to work within a team and independently
About The Individual
The successful candidate will be a strong team player with the ability to work flexibly and demonstrate tact and diplomacy. The ability to work under pressure is essential.