Role Title: Major Schemes Project Manager – External Construction
Reporting to: Major Schemes Team Leader
Location: Seax House, Chelmsford / Area Offices / Various sites in Essex
Role Purpose: NEC Project Management of Major Schemes.
This role is to deliver the NEC Project Management function for Major Schemes within Essex either through the Eastern Highways Alliance (EHA) framework or the internal Self-Delivery route.
It involves the preparation, administration and checking of contracts, risk assessments, method statements, report writing, stage reviews and updating of scheme process documents in accordance with the principles and timescales defined in the contract
You will take responsibility for the delivery of any number of schemes utilising internal staff, shareholder resources, external consultants and contractors as required.
The role may require the dual roles of NEC PM and Supervisor when required for some schemes.
It will be mainly site based work during construction with some office work at varying stages of the project.
You will be involved in advanced buildability reviews with the design team and will liaise with them throughout the project to help resolve technical and design queries. You will also work closely with the commercial team during the tender, award and construction stages to ensure all financial and contractual information is accurate, checked and available for reporting requirements.
You will ensure all projects comply with health and safety legislation, Quality Management and CDM requirements and are delivered to agreed standards in the Works Information.
The role involves site inspections and HSEQ audits to ensure compliance with specifications, regulations and Essex Highways / Ringway Jacobs’ standards and requirements.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other Client, stakeholders, agencies, authorities and suppliers and work with them to establish new and improved ways of working ensuring that value for money is delivered.
Occasionally you may provide advice to County Councillors, District Members, Parish Councils and the general public on scheme-related matters.
You will be an enthusiastic member of the External Construction team which delivers a wider range of construction projects. The role will involve assisting other members of the team or may require work on different projects as required in the delivery of the External Construction service.
The role may develop to include line manager responsibilities of site supervisors or apprentices as work load increases.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Chartered Engineer preferred with experience in civil engineering and highways.
• Membership of the ICE or similar professional body.
• Evidence of continuous professional development.
• Knowledge and working experience of NEC contracts and law.
• Construction Skills Certification Scheme ‘Professionally Qualified Person’ card holder preferred.
• SMSTS card holder preferred.
• Working knowledge of project planning, programming and risk management.
• Demonstrable knowledge and experience in the implementation of highway schemes and of using national guidance, legislation and regulations relating to design and implementation of highway schemes. In particular, The Highway Act 1980, Chapter 8, DMRB, MCHW, SHW and CDM 2015.
• Knowledge of Highway Authority and Local Government policies, practices and procedures.
• Good IT, written, verbal communication skills.
• Good planning, organisational and time management skill, able to deal with complex workload priorities and deadlines.
• Experience and confidence of dealing with contractors, members of the public and Cabinet Members.
• Strong commercial / contractual / civil engineering innovation/ business awareness.
• Ability to deal efficiently and fairly with complex Contractual issues / Contractual Claims / CEs / Payments, and negotiate swiftly with Contractors.
• Must be flexible with regard working location, times and patterns as the role involves sites all over Essex.
• Must be keen, enthusiastic, adaptable and willing to accept new challenges including involvement with other roles within External Construction and other RJ departments.
• Must be willing to take on line management or mentoring responsibilities as requested.
• Full driving licence.
Reed Specialist Recruitment Limited is an employment agency and employment business
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job