Sanctuary Group is one of the UK’s leading providers of housing, care and community services. With around 12,000 employees, we maintain a culture where diversity is valued and talent is nurtured and rewarded.
Legal Counsel – Commercial
£51,896 per annum (rising to £56,268 after 12 months, subject to satisfactory performance)
35 hours per week
Why work for us?
One of the UK’s leading providers of housing, care and commercial services, Sanctuary Group employs more than 12,000 people and manages over 100,000 units of accommodation throughout England and Scotland, including general rented, retirement living, supported housing, student and key worker accommodation and care homes. Sanctuary also provides a range of other services including maintenance, care and telecare, all of which are delivered by our dedicated employees who are completely committed to customer service.
This job sits within Legal Services which provides legal assistance and support to the Group to ensure compliance and regulatory requirements are met.
Reporting into the Group Head of Legal Services, this role provides an excellent opportunity for an experienced Solicitor from a commercial background to lead the delivery of high quality legal services to Sanctuary Housing Association and its subsidiaries and operations. You will be accountable for providing high quality expert legal advice and support across the Group in relation to commercial law, contracts and all data protection matters.
The role of Legal Counsel - Commercial will include
- Overseeing in house legal teams responsible for the Group’s legal work, ensuring that statutory deadlines and internal targets are met
- Managing a caseload of legal work including contract reviews, drafting and negotiation of commercial agreements
- Assisting in managing the Group’s external legal providers including managing legal spend and invoice analysis
- Ensuring that legal services are delivered in a cost effective way
- Acting in an advisory capacity to the Group on all data protection matters
Skills and experiences
- Educated to Degree level (or equivalent) you will be a Qualified Solicitor with proven post qualifying experience gained in a commercial in-house environment
- Comprehensive knowledge of commercial contracts and data protection law
- Experienced in advising senior managers and staff on legal issues
- Knowledge of EU procurement law would be advantageous
- Proven ability to build strong relationships and influence stakeholders both internally and externally
Ready to join us?
As part of our commitment to making Sanctuary a great place to work, we offer you access to a range of great employee benefits and the opportunity to develop and progress within your career. Benefits include:
- A pension scheme, with matching employer contributions from Sanctuary up to set limits
- 25 days leave (rising to a maximum of 30 days) plus public holidays
- Life assurance
- Health & well-being plans
- Discounted products & services
- Personal advice and counseling
- Family-friendly arrangements
- Tax efficient benefits
- Learning and development opportunities
To view the job profile please click here
Closing Date: 21 February 2018
We reserve the right depending on application numbers to close or extend the closing dates for positions; we would therefore recommend an early application.
‘For an insight into what it’s like to work for us, take a look at #LifeatSanctuary on Twitter’
Building Equality and Diversity
We work closely with the Home Office in order to prevent unlawful working.
Sanctuary Group is a trading name of Sanctuary Housing Association, an exempt charity.