We are the world leader in environmental and food testing, offering an exciting opportunity for a Laboratory Supervisorto join our expanding team and be part of our growing business.
This position is based at our newly acquired Ashwoods Laboratory located in Tweedbank near Galashiels.
A role at our Ashwood Laboratory is all about team work and working towards a common goal to ensure the health and safety of us all.
- General bench duties and assisting with organisation of staff.
- Assisting with training, supervision and mentoring of a team of laboratory analysts in the documented laboratory methodology.
- Handling of reference cultures and preparation of working cultures for Quality Control purposes.
- Assisting with preparation and Quality Control processes of microbiological growth medium.
- Deputising for in the absence of Microbiology Laboratory Manager.
- Plate reading, result interpretation and entry on lab worksheets, as well as providing training in this area for staff.
- Carrying out and training of staff for confirmation tests on suspect pathogen isolates
- Recording and reporting of results
- Assisting with ordering and stock control of all laboratory media and supplies.
- Assisting with the calibration of laboratory thermometers and thermocouples and ensuring that calibration is carried out within required timescales.
- Liaison with sub-contractors, visitors to site for maintenance/calibration of equipment etc.
- Recording of any non-conforming issues and reporting to Laboratory Manager
- Ensure completion of all relevant checks in accordance with daily duties, e.g. media records, pipettor weight checks etc.
- Ensuring the requirements of laboratory accreditation are met at all times and assisting in maintenance of the Quality System
- Participation in Laboratory Continuous Improvement Team meetings and regular quality meetings in order to highlight any areas of concern within the laboratory.
- Assisting with laboratory audits conducted by external agencies e.g. UKAS, customers or retailers.
- Participation in laboratory external proficiency and internal quality control schemes
- Assisting with implementation of continual improvement of laboratory operation.
- Any other duties as required by the Laboratory Manager
- The working days and hours are Wednesday to Sunday (Wednesday to Friday 2:00pm -10:00pm and Saturday and Sunday 9:00am-5:00pm)
What We Are Looking For
Alongside qualifications and experience, we look for people who believe in what we believe in. People who enjoy coming to work each day and being part of a team who provide "results that matter"inestablishing the safety, composition, authenticity and origin of our food and water.
- Degree in related scientific subject
- Practical knowledge of commercial laboratory operation
- Previous experience leading and supervising a team
- Practical experience within a food / water industry environment.
- Effective communication skills both written and oral.
- High level of attention to detail.
Eurofins Scientific is a leading international group of laboratories with over EUR 3 billion annual sales and over 30,000 employees with a network of 400 laboratories in 42 countries.
Our site at Ashwood has recently joined the Eurofins family and has a team of circa 30 employees. They pride themselves on the facilities, expertise and friendly customer service they offer.
Eurofins has a network of 16 sites in the UK and the Group provides an unparalleled range of over 150,000 reliable and validated analytical methods and support services to the pharmaceutical, food, environmental and consumer product industries, and to governments.