At Poppy’s, we believe that funerals have the potential to be life and grief-changing experiences. With an open and honest approach, we encourage, reassure, guide and support families to have the funeral that they want - whatever that means to them. We're growing really quickly, and we know we’re onto something great with our approach. (In fact, we’ve had this confirmed by lots of awards!)
We’re now looking for someone to join our committed team of funeral directors. You might have experience in events, teaching or hospitality (or something totally different) …but the bottom line is you’ll have had experience in a leadership role, you’ll be empathetic, energetic, organised and unflappable.
You’ll spend your time with us:
- Organising funerals for your clients across Greater London and beyond
- Empowering your clients to make informed personal choices about the things that really matter
- Coordinating finer funeral details (paperwork, orders of service, coffin, hearse etc.)
- Directing inspiring funerals on the day
- Overseeing the care of the people in our mortuary in the run up to and on the day of their funeral
- Leading your practical support team on the day
- Ensuring smooth post-funeral communication with your clients
- Promoting and embodying our values to the public and within the industry
- Sharing 'on call’ responsibilities with the rest of the team
(We’re a small team, so you’ll also need to be ready to work flexibly and beyond your job description when necessary, getting involved with ad hoc projects as and when they come up.)
We’re looking for someone who’s great at:
- Delivering smooth-running events, simple or complex
- Leading a small team and showing authority
- Building personal relationships within and beyond their industry
- Client service and exceeding expectations
- Communicating clearly and confidently
- Prioritising work, managing time and multi-tasking
- Learning quickly - this is a fast-paced environment
- Staying positive, grounded and unflappable under pressure
We’ll also need you to be:
- Experienced in event management - ideally with at least two years’ experience in a leadership role
- Physically fit and able to drive, with a full clean driving licence
The finer details:
- Location: the role is based at our headquarters in Tooting but you’ll spend around half of your time out and about, leading funerals across Greater London and beyond
- Team: we’re a team of six (growing to nearer twelve by the end of the year) - in-house you’ll work pretty autonomously, but you’ll also oversee an external team of bearers during the funerals themselves
- Reporting: you’ll report to our Head of Operations. We’ll expect you to run around three funerals a week, depending on the level of complexity
- Holidays: 32 days (including BHs)
Crucially, we expect everyone on the team to be able and willing to develop a sound understanding of the gentle, thoughtful, natural way we care for the dead people in our mortuary, even if they have no prior experience of this work. Full training will be given, as well as support and guidance as required.
We respect people's time and really do want to give as much flexibility as we can to our team - we just need to make sure we’re available to our clients when they need us.
- Our normal hours are 9am-5pm Monday to Friday, but we encourage a flexible working approach and want to accommodate your needs and best working patterns wherever possible - so if your ideal hours don’t quite fall in line with this, please do let us know and we’ll see what we can do!
- Very occasionally, you’ll need to be available for weekend funerals. You’ll also need to be flexible enough to start early and end late when necessary (again, not often!). You’ll be generously reimbursed for your extra time and given time off in lieu.
- (On a similar note, we’d also consider discussing a four-day working week for the right person.)
Additional application instructions:
If this sounds like you, please send us your CV and cover letter telling us what makes you perfect for the role by 2nd May 2018.
We hope to hold interviews May 15th - 17th and have shortlisted candidates spend a few hours behind the scenes with us sometime between May 8th - 25th - for you to see in closer detail what we do and how it all works - and for us to get to know each other a little better.
We’re looking to have the successful candidate join us soon after!
- Event Management