Job Title: Finance Officer
Salary: £20,600 - £25,200 (pro rata)
Duration: Permanent, part time (25 hours per week)
Job ref: VL/19992
Purpose of the role:
The Finance Officer has overall responsibility for accurately maintaining all the financial records and plays a key role in providing accurate financial information, back-up and support to all staff.
The Finance Officer will provide a comprehensive financial service working closely with the Business Manager and supported by the Finance Trustee ensuring that the critical deadlines are met.
The role will require close liaison with colleagues to ensure financial administration is efficient and effective and that budget holders are supported.
Confidentiality across all areas of this role is required as the incumbent will have access to both personal and commercial information.
The accurate and cost effective maintenance of the charity’s financial records including the operation of Sage 50 accounts and Excel spreadsheets.
Key work area: Income
- Ensure cash handling within the business remains secure and follows financial procedures.
- Accurately account for membership subscriptions and all other income.
- Record all income in Sage 50 accounts and reconcile to bank statements.
- Manage credit control activity and bad debts with the exception of membership subscriptions.
Key work area: Payments
Conduct the monthly payments processes on a timely basis ensuring that payment details are correct and authorisation levels are complied with.
- Check volunteer expense claim forms are fully completed and accurate.
- Reconcile the purchase ledger with supplier statements ensuring that differences are resolved.
- On a monthly basis, check supplier payment details and highlight any changes.
- Ensure monthly employee salary payments (prepared by agency) are processed correctly.
- Process cheque requisitions.
- Record in Sage 50 accounts all petty cash transactions and reconcile monthly, the petty cash balance.
- Record all payments in Sage 50 accounts and reconcile to bank statements.
- Prepare and arrange for monthly signing of cheques, direct debit payment sheets and associated payments paperwork for staff and suppliers.
- Ensure all payments are made with the appropriate approvals.
- Record in Sage 50 accounts payroll costs and promptly pay all the payroll liabilities to HMRC - Tax, NIC (Employers and Employees) each month.
- Manage pension payments as instructed by the Business Manager - on a monthly basis upload employee pension submissions.
Key work area: Cash Management
- Early in the month (taking account of upcoming payments including direct debits), ensure funds are transferred to the appropriate account to support the monthly payments.
- Carry out all day to day banking or ensure that this is covered by other staff.
- On a monthly basis, review cash flow and forecasts and report.
- Reconcile the bank balances as recorded in Sage 50 accounts to bank statements.
- Ensure that all online banking processes are conducted with financial security in mind.
- Assist the Business Manager in the management of banking relationships, mandates and permissions.
- Regularly review facilities and rates, and make recommendations.
Key work area: Investment Management
- With Business Manager, prepare for quarterly interrogation by the Finance and Risk Panel of all of the Trust’s investments.
Key work area: Monthly and annual accounts including finance procedures
- Prepare monthly accounts on Sage 50 accounts, to include posting monthly prepayments, accruals, depreciation and other month end accounting adjustments.
- Prepare schedules which provide a reconciliation at each month end of the balances on the balance sheet accounts in Sage 50 accounts.
- Maintain the fixed asset register.
- On a monthly basis, reconcile the income reported by the thankQ software (membership and fundraising) with both Sage 50 accounts and the bank statements.
- Review, with the Business Manager, the monthly accounts with comparisons to prior year and to budget.
- With the Business Manager, continually review finance procedures to ensure they remain effective and relevant.
- Prepare papers for audit process and with Business Manager, manage the audit process.
- Ensure there is a robust and clearly labelled filing system for all finance papers for both work in progress and completed tasks.
- Ensure backup of data continues to operate within Finance Office procedures.
Key work area: Regulatory Reporting
- Prepare and file statutory reports required by the appropriate regulatory eg VAT returns, PAYE/NI returns.
Key work area: Budgets
- Assist Business Manager with preparation of annual budget process.
- Following budget approval ensure accurate recording of budgets to Sage 50 accounts.
Key work area: Software
- Process all accounting functions through Sage 50 accounts and ensure software is maintained up to date and continues to function effectively.
- Ensure the security and data integrity of the Sage 50 accounts system.
Skills and experience required:
- First class numeracy and bookkeeping skills and experience.
- Experience in operating Sage 50 accounts to trial balance stage, including a good working knowledge of the bank module, sales ledger, purchase ledger and nominal ledger.
- Experience in the operation of Excel and the use of spreadsheets as a means of recording financial information.
- A systematic and orderly approach to your work.
- Attention to detail and the ability to process data reliably and accurately, maintain accurate financial records and hence provide sound financial information.
- Relevant experience in preparing and filing Inland Revenue returns such as VAT, PAYE/NI.
- The ability to work alone and as part of a team, meet deadlines and use initiative.
- Good communication skills in person, on the telephone, by email, letter and in reports.