£60k - £70k + excellent benefits
Development Manager / Java / Microservices / Microservices Architecture / RESTful / Agile / Software Quality / Cloud / Digital / MYSQL / CMS
Technology at Vodafone
Millions of people interact with Vodafone Technology every day without even realising it. Our products deliver many essential services that critical to the lives of many different people. We connect all sorts of businesses including banks, shops and the media to and critical services such as the emergency services. Our technology and network is the backbone to everything we deliver and without it we wouldn’t have a business. That’s why we’re investing heavily in it and we need talented people to help us deliver the next wave of innovation.
About the Role
We're looking for a talented and enthusiastic Development Manager to join our Digital Engineering team in Newbury, bringing with you a broad range of experiences and a passion for modern development technologies and practices.
Building great products that delight our customers and transform the way they engage with us is why we're here, but we're also building a world-class capability to build and ship high quality products, leading the way across Vodafone to transform the way we deliver our solutions - and it's here where this role is so important to us. Our digital channels are used by millions of our customers and we have big plans for the future!
Our Platform is at the heart of this, to allow our digital channels to quickly develop new and improved applications based on secure, reliable and scalable services. As a Development Manager you'll lead our platform practice, driving the quality and capability of the group.
In this role you’ll be reporting to the Digital Development Lead and will lead the development teams in creating the micro services, APIs, data repositories, gateways to support our channels. You’ll work closely with our Architecture team, who provide the direction and strategy for our digital capability and with other teams across the Vodafone Technology business, sharing our ideas and components with other teams.
You'll be responsible for
- Building and leading a capable and empowered team of engineers across multiple disciplines with a shared, clear vision and a passionate drive to succeed
- Owning our platform capability, ensuring reliability, scalability, security and availability of the applications
- Overseeing the technical design, structure and direction of the products you own
- Setting and driving the standards and best practice for the group
- Establishing a culture of continuous improvement through learning, training and coaching
- Ensuring quality is at the heart of everything you and your team does
To be successful you're going to need...
- A proven track record of leading engineering teams with an in-depth understanding of the technologies such as Java, micro services architectures, RESTful APIs and cloud environments for delivering high quality platform applications.
- A deep understanding of the full software development lifecycle including multiple delivery methodologies with the ability to mentor, motivate and shape high performing teams
- Strong communication skills, and the ability to choose style, media & technique suitable to your audience
- Experience in leading technology teams across multiple locations
- Strong all-round skills, willing to get involved in every stage of the software development lifecycle
- An enthusiastic interest in modern development practice, tooling, technology and techniques
Joining Vodafone is more than a job, what we do matters. We don’t just carry minutes, texts and data – we carry people’s lives. And that’s a huge responsibility. If you think for a minute about the people you rely on…the likelihood is they rely on us.
Customers are at the heart of everything we do and we want to make a difference to the lives of our customers, and the communities in which we live and work. We support our people to give something back to the causes that mean the most to them through helping them give time and money to the charities they love.
And what’s it like to work here? We have created an environment where you can look forward to coming to work and are empowered to be at your best. We offer flexibility in how you work that helps you do your job in a way that suits you, opportunities to help you grow and progress throughout your career, and a choice of benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Commitment from Vodafone
Vodafone is committed to attracting, developing and retaining the very best people by offering a flexible, motivating and inclusive workplace in which talent is truly recognised, developed and rewarded. We believe that diversity plays an important role in the success of our business and we are committed to creating an inclusive work environment which respects, values, celebrates and makes the most of people’s individual differences - we are not only multinational but multicultural too. At Vodafone you will have access to our excellent flexible benefits programme that you would expect from any global company.