NO AGENCIES PLEASE.
This job requires someone who has excellent SQL skills but who doesn’t necessarily want a standard development job. Most of our SQL work relies on large dataset processing, i.e. a batch ETL process that power aggregated data analysis, insight, software and visualisations.
This role requires someone who can or who feels they are ready for the challenge of managing a significant data infrastructure, supporting colleagues, helping to implement new solutions AND enjoy every minute!
You will likely have at least 5-10 years commercial experience and you will be comfortable making decisions on getting the best results to support our solutions and to deliver to our customers.
Key Skills / Experience
- A degree in Computing Science
- At least 3-4 years experience as a DBA
- At least 5 - 10 year commercial working experience in a related field
- 3-4 Years experience in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2014, 2016
- 5 Years of T-SQL Experience, optimising queries, triggers and database development and understanding complex data
- 3-4 Years MS SQL Reporting Services (SSRS) 2008 and knowledge of creating reports
- 3-4 Years of MS SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) and knowledge of building and deploying SSIS(DTS) Packages and VBA.
- Experience working with Data Warehouses and importing/exporting data from multiple different sources and formats (e.g. from MySQL to MS SQL Server) and batch processing (BCP).
- Sound knowledge of indexing - especially with large volumes of data
- Good understanding of RDBM - database modelling, ER models, normalising data
- Good knowledge of fine tuning databases - maintenance plans, shrinking log files
- Good knowledge of Scheduling jobs with SQL Server Agent, troubleshooting issues with jobs
In addition we welcome applications from people who not only have the experience described above but you may also have:
- Any coding skills in C#/ASP.Net
- Knowledge of Redgate tools like SQLCompare
- MS SQL Server 2016 experience
- Business Intelligence experience (e.g. MS Power BI)
Roles and responsibilities
This is an extremely varied role and you will be expected to be working on many projects simultaneously whilst also undertaking your day-to-day operational work. Here’s range of responsibilities and tasks that our DBA will have.
The DDX is our proprietary data collection software (Daily Data Extractor). We install it on our clients’ servers where there is a SQL database and it handles the task of securely transferring data from their servers to ours. In addition to the installed DDX’s we also have a range of 'Web’ DDX’s that pull data from web API’s.
Responsibility: to ensure our ETL processes are working correctly, to fix any issues and write new processes for new or amended ticketing systems.
- Installing the DDX
- Discussing technical issues / answering security questions with clients
- Writing new extract queries for the DDX
- Writing transfer queries
- Working with our developers to integrate new DDX’s (esp web ones)
- Monitoring the DDX performance
- Undertaking work to maintain consistency across all DDX’s
Support: Given that we are a data company we have need to investigate 3rd line support issues on behalf of our clients.
Responsibility : to work with the account managers to deliver exceptional service to our clients including responding to support queries in a timely fashion and proactively working to reduce issues from occurring.
- Investigating data accuracy issues
- Undertaking performance tuning of databases
- Deploying (and writing SSRS reports).
- Work with the developers to identify and fix database related software bugs
Data Transfers: Whilst we have over 300 databases, we aggregate all this data into a single warehouse for analysis and data projects. We are also introducing territory specific warehouses which are not yet in place. In addition we have 'complex’ clients who ticket through multiple systems and require all their ticketing data to be held in one place.
- Further developing and maintaining our warehouse transfers
- Work with the data scientists to integrate their work into our systems
- Writing extracts from our databases to other platforms / clients
- Prepare data for our data scientists on an as required basis
General: We’re a small team with big ambitions, therefore there will be other work handed to you that you are appropriately skilled for. Examples of these tasks include:
- Working with the server company to ensure the back-ups are working correctly
- Documenting your work and our processes.
- Proactively identify and implement efficiencies, processes and solutions that help us achieve our aims including the automation of some of our manual processes
- Implement and uphold necessary security protocols that keep our clients data secure, including ensuring we meet Data Protection legislation.
About you: You are a friendly and experienced DBA with a professional approach, good communication skills and adaptable; comfortable working in a small team.
About Us: Purple Seven is the leading provider of data driven insight for the Arts sector, driving audience engagement through actionable intelligence. Our innovative solutions combine self-service software, sector-led consulting and data science.
With offices in Coventry and London, we work with a wide range of arts clients in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and across Scandinavia with further planned territory growth.
We are planning for rapid growth and seek to recruit key individuals across the business who can bring their expertise; professionalism and energy to deliver for our clients.
- Data Warehousing
- MS Reporting Services
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job