We protect everything from bats to buildings to beaches - and we want to share them with everyone too. But how do we care for our special places, while helping everyone to enjoy them and their fascinating stories? It’s no small task. In fact, it’s a big team effort and it’s why our Conservation Assistants are so important.
This post will be required to take part on a roster to provide daily cover as key point of contact for escalation of emergency and security issues or customer complaints.What it's like to work here
Bodiam Castle is the archetypal romantic English castle and is just how children imagine a fairy tale castle, with moat, towers, battlements, portcullis and thrill-inducing steep spiral stairs. The seemingly complete castle, reflected in its moat is set in an attractive rural landscape.
This impressive 14th century moated castle is one of the most famous in Britain. The castle’s spiral staircases and original features make for an ever-inspiring atmosphere, where costume interpretations and re-enactments give visitors a vivid portrayal of medieval life. Bodiam Castle is the busiest attraction in the area, appealing to a wide range of visitors, including schools, regular members and overseas tourists. Located in a beautiful area with free parking and transport links, you’ll be able to travel to work by car, bike, bus or even, ferry!What you'll be doing
The newly formed castle team will be responsible for the upkeep and care of the castle. As well as the opening and manning of the castle during open hours and forming a volunteer team to support them with visitor engagement and visitor safety.
Unlike many other House Teams across the country though, this role will be predominately "outdoor" based and with a heavy focus on the visitor experience. An understanding of conservation and the handling of the collection is still an important element to the role; however, the role is much more active with the visitors and manning of the castle space in all weathers.
As a Conservation Assistant, you’ll be working with a great housekeeping team in an incredible place, helping with the day-to-day cleaning and care of the collections. No detail will go unnoticed, and you’ll keep a keen eye on everything from the environmental conditions in a room, to signs of wear and tear. You’ll keep accurate records too.
In this visitor facing role, we’d love you to talk to visitors about the work you’re doing, and the collections we have. You'll also be part of the wider team of employees and volunteers, helping to cover where necessary.Who we're looking for
We'd love to hear from you if you have;
- A keen interest in history, historic properties and conservation of their collections
- Previous experience as a Trainee Conservation Assistant or equivalent
- A good understanding of preventive conservation
- Knowledge of the approach required when working with fragile historic collections as well as Health & Safety and emergency procedures
- Good manual dexterity and eye-to-hand skills and ability to work from ladders and tower scaffold
And you'll need to demonstrate that you;
- Are able to support volunteers to perform at their best
- Are a good team player with good interpersonal and communication skills
- Are willing to undertake continuing professional development and personal skills development and have an enthusiasm to learn
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking
- Ready to Learn
- Active Team Player
- Manual Dexterity
- Interest in history
- Understanding of preventative conservation
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job