Our client currently has a vacancy for a Yard Foreman at their Portsmouth Centre who is responsible for managing the day to day operations carried out on site in a safe, efficient and effective manner.
Between the hours of 6.30 am and 5.00 pm Monday to Friday (based upon working 9.5 hours each day), and 6.30 am to 2.00 pm on Saturday (on a rota basis or as and when required)
- Hold and maintain the relevant COTC qualification.
- Be fully conversant with the Health and Safety Management Plan, its purpose and its implementation.
- Supervise, manage the performance of, and train, the Plant Operators, Operatives/Labourers, and Banksman.
- Overall responsibility for the plant on site/operate any of the plant as and when required.
- Make yourself fully aware of, comply with, and strictly adhere to all site, company, and health and safety rules and regulations, as well as control procedures relating to the site.
- Compile, review, and revise the risk assessments/control procedures relating to the work activities undertaken on site.
- Ensure the daily and weekly plant and equipment checks are carried out and the check sheets completed and provided to the Operations Manager every Monday morning.
- Complete a daily site inspection sheet/site diary and ensure that everything has been checked and rectified as necessary, as well as recorded accordingly.
- Supervise the sorting and segregating of the waste by the Operatives/Labourers and Plant Operators.
- Supervise and monitor activity at all times to ensure maximum recycling levels are achieved.
- Supervise the loading of the vehicles and inspect every trailer before it leaves the site to ensure it is at its maximum load/capacity, and that only appropriate waste is sent to landfill.
- Ensure adherence with health and safety rules and regulations, as well as the Company`s Control Procedures and standards.
- Ability to safely operate all mobile and static plant under your control.
- Provide competent weighbridge cover, as and when required.
- Ensure all employees are ready to commence work at their contractual start times. Report any absences to the Operations Manager and HR by 7.30 am.
- Make sure all stood vehicles are parked safely and securely and that the keys to the vehicles have been handed in to the Weighbridge Office.
- Ensure the road leading to the site is regularly inspected, at least 3 times a day (depending upon the weather conditions), and cleaned in-line with the Company`s operating procedure and risk assessment.
- Ensure all personnel on site wear their PPE at all times whilst carrying out their working duties and observe and strictly adhere to site rules and regulations
- Concentrate fully on your tasks and pay due care and attention at all times so as not to cause any damage to Company machines and property, or third party vehicles, through neglect.
- Report any accidents, incidents, or near hits immediately to the Operations Manager for investigation and take the appropriate action in liaison with the Operations Manager and Transport & Plant Manager, as appropriate.
- Ensure the plant operators undertake their daily machine checks first thing in the morning and fully complete the `Plant Machine Checklist` and grease their plant a minimum of once weekly, but daily for the rotating grab attachment, or to the manufacturer`s specification.
- Ensure the working area is kept as clean and tidy as possible to allow the safe reversing of the vehicles depositing waste, including the walk ways surrounding the office area.
- Ensure any machine defects or problems are reported to the Operations Manager.
- Complete a daily defect sheet for any machine being operated by you and grease any machine driven during the day.
- Undertake an end of week yard inspection and hand the report to the Operations Manager every Monday for action, where appropriate.
- Rectify any faults as directed by the Operations Manager that have been identified from his monthly inspection.
- Manage and record the holiday requests from employees based at your site.
- Undertake employee absence return to work interviews.
- Undertake reviews with your employees based at your site.
- Compile the weekly wage sheets and input the relevant information on the All-Day Time System.
- Carry out any other reasonable requests made of you by the management team, which may include providing temporary cover for any other activity within the business.
- Work flexibly and be receptive and adaptable to a changing environment within a fast expanding Company.
Ideal candidates must have:
- Excellent man-management and organisational skills
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
- Good IT skills (Word, Excel)
- Good geographical knowledge of the operational area
- Be commercially aware
- Relevant experience
- COTC qualification
- Experience of working within a busy and fast paced environment
- The ability to use initiative, problem-solve, and remain calm and patient when under pressure.
- Previous relevant experience